Thursday, January 23, 2014

Beauty

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines beauty as:
 "...the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit..."
Freedictionary.com adds that this pleasure "is associated with such properties as harmony of form or color, excellence of artistry, truthfulness, and originality."


I am completely speechless when I am confronted by beauty as my senses absorb and then suddenly out of my mouth comes one word: "Wow!"

I am still awestruck when I look at my sons. Wow! I am so humbled to be associated with them in any way.


And then while walking through a mall on some occasions, I have seen a person, could be a man, woman, or child, who in some way blindside me with their features, and I have to stop and stare. On occasion, I have told them or the parent, "You are so beautiful."
Eyes in particular intrigue me.

I love eyes. They truly mirror the soul. Truly mysterious. Come to think of it, they are like pools of water; sometimes still, sometimes churning, sometimes clear, sometimes muddy, sometimes piercing and glittering, other times glassy and calm. And the variety of colours and sizes and shapes so amazes me.

And then there is nature. I will never forget one particular mystic experience where I felt absorbed into the wonder surrounding me:

"...then just stared at the lake and listened.
The calm, mysterious waters reminded me of my Creator,
as my soul rapidly quieted to listen.
All of my senses slowly heightened,
and I could smell the aroma of wet earth.
I could hear the soft swishing of water at my feet;
I could feel the soft morning breeze as it curled my hair about my face.
It seemed that I automatically stood up
and raised my hands in unison with all of creation in worship.
I closed my eyes as sudden warmth enveloped me,
the warmth of a love I had not realized before.
It lay before me, in the wonder of the creation that surrounded me,
the love that it had taken to create such grandeur.
Slowly the concepts of His absolute sovereignty and love
began to seep deeply into my soul.
This same God, who so lovingly formed
and left the stamp of His Presence in this grandeur around me,
formed me, loves me and never leaves me,
no matter what..." (entire post here.)


That was the moment I knew that 'beauty' was personal, not random, infused with love, the love of the Artist, the love of the Creator.

Then there is another type of beauty, the beauty of transparency, of brokenness. Have you ever watched someone share their brokenness and the sheer beauty that surrounds them? That is a beauty that we cannot define, for it is the sheer glory of God.

Beauty just emanates from my friend, Lorena, who shares the beauty of redemption here in her testimony, "Looking For Love In All the Wrong Places."

And what about beauty in what our culture sees as flaws:  like wrinkles. Look closer, and what you see in each fold is the wisdom of the ages, the beauty of victory over circumstances, the beauty of perseverance, the beauty of a life lived for God:

And then there are words and music. WOW!
 I mean, who has not been struck by the sheer artistry that comes with reading a string a words that strike you to your core? You think, "Wow, that is so beautiful!" And when the words are put into music that flow with such melody while resonating with your heart and spirit, who can compare?:
Like The Love of God:
The Love of God by Mercy Me
The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell
It goes beyond the highest star
And reaches to the lowest hell

The guilty pair, bowed down with care
God gave His Son to win
His erring child He reconciled
And pardoned from his sin

Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade

To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky
Hallelujah

O love of God, how rich and pure
How measureless and strong
It shall forevermore endure
The saints' and angels' song

But this contemplation of beauty can only lead to One.
The Source.
For the nuggets of beauty that I've shared are mere glimpses of His glory, His nature, His essence.
I remember a time so long ago (described here) when I looked into His eyes and fell in love.
He was so beautiful to me.
And yet, I was seeing but a shadow.
I have so much to look forward to, when I see Him face to face.
I can only imagine.



And this is my prayer:
Psalm 27:4 (AMP)
One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek, inquire for, and [insistently] require: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord [in His presence] all the days of my life, to behold and gaze upon the beauty [the sweet attractiveness and the delightful loveliness] of the Lord and to meditate, consider, and inquire in His temple.


 (Linking up with Faith Barista Jam Thursdays)

5 comments:

Sara said...

Beauty is so unique to some its one thing and to another is different. I love this about life and the gift of individuality.

Yet true beauty was on that cross, when our Saviour laid down his life for us, the beauty of unconditional love.

Sita said...

True, Sara. Thank you for stopping by. :-)

Debbie Petras said...

Sita, this post is beautiful. I love how you covered so many different aspects of beauty. I too am intrigued by eyes. To end this post with "I Can Only Imagine" was perfect. It is one of my all time favorites.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Debbie Petras said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sita said...

Thank you, Debbie. We are sisters at heart. :-)