Thursday, March 13, 2014

Remembrance

Today's writing prompt from Faith Barista's JamWithMeThursdays is the word "remembrance".

And today, Wednesday, I find myself going back to someplace where I can find warmth, sun, lightheartedness, and fun.


Yes, today, there is yet another snowstorm and my senses are in winter overload here in Toronto.


Hence, my need to get some island therapy: island beats with pictures to make me forget for a while what it is like outside; to make me remember good times:

) ) )



But Jesus asks us to remember Him in the act of communion, a symbol to bring back the memory that He gave His Body, His life for us.
He calls us to remember His vicious death which bought us life. It is a memory He desires us to keep alive every time we take the bread and drink the cup.
I hate to remember His pain as much as I hate to remember mine. Bad times.
But in recent times I am being reminded that I must follow Him and face that road to Golgotha head on, march right up to that Cross, that pain.
That pain needs to be crucified.
Cleansed by His blood.
Freedom comes on the other side of the Cross.
That's where resurrection power happens.
Good times.

So why does He want me to remember? I can only speculate.
Probably because we humans have a tendency to shallow living until brought to our knees by some crisis.
Probably because we so easily forget why we do have access to God.
Probably because we forget we are on a journey of transformation, not of how to make life comfortable for ourselves.
Probably because He wants to remind us of His love for us.

Whatever the reason, I know I have much to grasp still.
It will always be somewhat of a mystery to me.

Luke 22:19-20 (AMP)
19 Then He took a loaf [of bread], and when He had given thanks, He broke [it] and gave it to them saying, This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.
20 And in like manner, He took the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament or covenant [ratified] in My blood, which is shed (poured out) for you.."

re·mem·brance (Free Online Dictionary)
n.
1.
a. The act or process of remembering.
b. The state of being remembered: holds him in fond rememberance.
2. Something serving to celebrate or honor the memory of a person or event; a memorial.





(Linking up with Faith Barista:

)

11 comments:

Melissa said...

I'd only heard the song "Remembrance" by Matt Maher. Thanks for sharing this video.

I can only speculate, as well, about why Jesus wants us to remember His sacrifice. I imagine it's for the second reason you listed: we often forget why we have access to God. It's easy, in our busy lives, to forget that that access came at a huge cost. Let's never forget that cost.

Sita said...

Thank you, Melissa for dropping by. The sacrament of communion is still such a mystery for me but it helps us to remember the cost of our redemption and love beyond our finite comprehension.

Trudy said...

So touching, Sita. Thank you for the comforting reminder that pain drives us closer to the cross, to realize more of what He suffered for us. Incomprehensible love.
"That pain needs to be crucified.
Cleansed by His blood.
Freedom comes on the other side of the Cross." Love this thought.

Thanks also for all the videos. The nature photos refresh my soul. Also love the song. :)

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Your island must be so beautiful, Sita! I've never minded the cold as much as I did this winter. An island somewhere warm sounds wonderful!

Sita said...

Welcome back, Trudy and Sr. Ann. It has been a brutal winter and maybe one day I can see my island home again, Sister. Trudy, what a precious visitor you have become. Sister, you mirror my Jesus.
Blessings to you both.

Debbie said...

Love what you said..."That pain needs to be crucified."

HisFireFly said...

yes, help us always to remember Lord!

Princess Morag said...

"we forget we are on a journey of transformation, not of how to make life comfortable for ourselves" If we want to be like Jesus, this is what we must remember - thank you for your words.

Sita said...

Thank you, Debbie, Firefly and Morag for your encouraging words. SO comforting to know we are sisters on this journey.

The Dementia Nurse said...

Hello my beautiful friend from years ago! I have been missing Blogland of late, was so pleased to find you are still here.

Sita said...

Gail, what a surprise! Actually I was out of blogland for quite a while, except for birthday posts. Recently I got involved with Faith Barista and her writing prompts. How are you? Drop me a line when you can at my email trinisita-at-hotmail-dot-com.