![]() |
| Psalm 147:3(AMP) He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds [curing their pains and their sorrows]. |
Broken and spilled out.
Used up and wasted.For me.
This has been one of the most beautiful songs to me, as sung by Steve Green:
Broken and Spilled Out
VERSE 1
One day a plain village woman
Driven by love for her Lord
Recklessly poured out a valuable essence
Disregarding the scorn
And once it was broken and spilled out
A fragrance filled all the room
Like a pris'ner released from his shackles
Like a spirit set free from the tomb
CHORUS 1
Broken and spilled out
Just for love of you Jesus
My most precious treasure
Lavished on Thee
Broken and spilled out
And poured at Your feet
In sweet abandon
Let me be spilled out
And used up for Thee
VERSE 2
Lord You were God's precious treasure
His loved and His own perfect Son
Sent here to show me
The love of the Father
Just for love it was done
And though You were perfect and holy
You gave up Yourself willingly
You spared no expense for my pardon
You were used up and wasted for me
CHORUS 2
Broken and spilled out
Just for love of me Jesus
God's most precious treasure
Lavished on me
You were broken and spilled out
And poured at my feet
In sweet abandon Lord
You were spilled out and used up for Me
VERSE 1
One day a plain village woman
Driven by love for her Lord
Recklessly poured out a valuable essence
Disregarding the scorn
And once it was broken and spilled out
A fragrance filled all the room
Like a pris'ner released from his shackles
Like a spirit set free from the tomb
CHORUS 1
Broken and spilled out
Just for love of you Jesus
My most precious treasure
Lavished on Thee
Broken and spilled out
And poured at Your feet
In sweet abandon
Let me be spilled out
And used up for Thee
VERSE 2
Lord You were God's precious treasure
His loved and His own perfect Son
Sent here to show me
The love of the Father
Just for love it was done
And though You were perfect and holy
You gave up Yourself willingly
You spared no expense for my pardon
You were used up and wasted for me
CHORUS 2
Broken and spilled out
Just for love of me Jesus
God's most precious treasure
Lavished on me
You were broken and spilled out
And poured at my feet
In sweet abandon Lord
You were spilled out and used up for Me
Have you noticed that only the broken produce heart-stories? Stories that touch the hearts, that bring the "Someone knows, someone else has gone through this...", and more than that, this person is showing that there is hope.
That is why Christ came.
To be broken.
To qualify as that High Priest who understands from experience:
Hebrews 4:14-16
Amplified Bible (AMP)
14 Inasmuch then as we have a great High Priest Who has [already] ascended and passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession [of faith in Him].
15 For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning.
16 Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God’s unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it].
A painful word.
A painful experience.
To submit to being broken should not be said lightly to God. For being broken by God is as painful as it sounds.
It requires a slicing open of unhealed wounds, bondages and strongholds: facing the pain directly with God.
It requires a light being shone on that which we wanted to hide: humiliation.
It requires a cleaning: filtering out the toxic elements, like unforgiveness, bitterness, through His filter of grace.
It requires accepting a healing balm to be poured over that cleansed wound: the healing balm of grace.
Like a glaze over a freshly baked cake, this will gleam with His glory.
Moreover, there is a distinct fragrance that is left when this touches other lives.
The fragrance of God-with-us.
Brokenness has been transformed.
Beauty.
Sheer ethereal beauty is how I describe God-transformed brokenness when I hear testimonies of God's grace, when I see people in their brokenness submitted to God.
(Click on name to read story.)
Like Bonnie's story.
Like Trudy's story.
Like Lelia's story.
Like Kay Warren's story.
Like Renee's story.
The stories are endless and range over every human 'wound', all examples of brokenness transformed.
What does your brokenness look like?
Do you want to be set free?
Are you willing to accept the pain of brokenness to walk into that freedom?
Remember you don't have to do that alone.
God has provided a community of broken ones to walk beside you, in your church, in blog sisters, in friends, in professional help.
More than that, the Holy Spirit is here always as your Counselor, Comforter and Healer.
Broken for Beauty.
(Linking up with Faith Barista's writing prompt for today: "Broken":
)

7 comments:
Brokenness can be so transforming! I love how our Lord takes our brokenness and makes something beautiful. He gets all the glory. I love that song and hadn't heard it in some time. Thank you for posting it.
Blessings and love,
Debbie
Love this. Yes, it's hard to do. I would NEVER share the story of my brokenness beyond my immediate circle of family and friends, except that it shows the love of Christ in my life ... how He has worked ... and that I hope it encourages someone in a similar situation.
Love your description of brokenness. It can become beauty.
I remember this song well. I am so thankful He has made it so we are never alone, no matter what we go through. He has Himself known the pain so He can help us through.
"Broken and spilled out..." What hope-filled encouragement you have given me today, Sita. I love the song. When I got to these lines -
"Like a pris'ner released from his shackles
Like a spirit set free from the tomb" -
I began to cry throughout your post and then in reading some stories of how Jesus transformed lives. I am so humbled you included one of mine. I am reminded of those words on those steps - "I will love you every step of the way." At that time, when I went back, they were no longer there, so I know God spoke to me that day. I really need to remember those special times and believe He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. But sometimes I get depressed and I feel so helpless. At the beginning of this week, I wanted to die. It is too hard to be "real" - it makes me feel so raw and vulnerable. But you are an answer to prayer today that God wants me to keep going and He will heal me layer by layer in His time and way. He was broken and spilled out for the broken. Sorry this is so long. Anyway, thank you, Sita. Hugs!
Out all day and just saw these comments. Trudy, I am so sorry it's been so rough lately for you and so thankful to God if He ministered to you through this post. Trudy, I had to include you because I am just 'wowed' by the tender beauty that emanates from your blog by your vulnerability, your willingness to surrender to God's redemption. In fact you remind me of Gladys Aylward, a bio I have been reading. You don't have the same stories, but the same determination to obey Him.
Trudy, do you have any community around you to come around you and pray for you?
Thank you, Debbie P and Debbie Petras, Dunlizzie, and Melissa, for popping by. Steve Green and this song have ministered to me so much. Glad you also love it. Thankful that His story is the story of brokenness and restoration, for us.
Post a Comment