Happy 30th Birthday to my Firstborn
From birth July 13, 1993
to now July 13, 2023
My dear son, there have been so many milestones since that day, July 13, 1993. From killing it at elementary school - impressing your teachers with your mastery of vocabulary (writing your first novella in Grade 4) to high school excelling and graduating as an Ontario scholar and being both class valedictorian and prom king revealing both your amazing academic and social skills! It was also in high school you developed your love of basketball!
At church you were involved in Bible quizzing and youth group and formed your first friendships there that you still maintain, a testimony to your loyalty and faithfulness and the depth of love you hold in your heart for those you love.
At home nothing brought you more joy than making videos with your lil bro and despite the sibling tensions and misunderstandings and 'you idiot!' there is a bond there that cannot be erased. After all, I had Dan just for you! :)
And then, the young adult years at university brought you new experiences in new friends and musicals and service trips and again excelling academically and socially!
It was at Grebel that you met your beautiful wife Sarah. I'd say that was a significant milestone!
You went on to marry her in the last year of school and then graduate from law school and start a law career!
Oh wow, but the best is yet to come, you made your old mother here a grandmother! Georgia Myfanwy is so perfect and you share the same profile and she has the most disarming beautiful smile!
I love to see you and Sarah interacting with her. You are doing this parenting thing really well! I guess you learned from the mistakes your own parents made and darn, I made some doozies! See how that turned out! By God's grace you did not go on the Jerry Springer show to highlight your dysfunctional parents. Honestly, each generation does the best with what they have on hand and we get better at it. My mom was the first Christian in our family and I am so grateful to God for sustaining her faith amid major obstacles and now a new generation of faith and righteousness is being established.
I wish I had the resources to get you something really special like a trip or a great gourmet culinary experience, however I don't.
However, I do realize that one of your primary love languages is words of affirmation that you so beautifully express to those around you.
So my birthday gift is just that. Using the words from Elton John's Your Song, "I hope you don't mind that I (we) put down in words how wonderful life is while you're in the world." So I asked your loved ones to gift you with words to let you know how valued you are.
This is my birthday gift to you.
And here we go!
THE HOMIES
HIGH SCHOOL
UNIVERSITY
FAMILY
GOD
In my study of Ruth recently I learnt how important legacy is. From the words you have received today, it is apparent that you are building and leaving a legacy of kindness and grace and faithfulness and loyalty and abiding love. All qualities of the 'hesed' covenant love I have been learning about. This is evidence of His work within you.
My blessing for you is that you never forget from where your goodness flows, that you continue to glorify Him in all you are and praise Him for His many blessings and favour on you. May you emulate your Heavenly Father in being a father to your sweet Georgia. So proud of you and privileged to call you 'son.'
Prayer:
Lord, thank you for Nathan. Thank You for your faithfulness to Him, your kindness and mercy. Please surround him with a shield of faith and righteousness. When hard times come as they will as part of this life, may he remember that it is Your Presence that will carry him through despite circumstances. May he have a solid foundation that cannot be shaken. Please continue to equip him with all that he needs as a lawyer, husband, father, son, brother and friend. May he be like a tree firmly planted fed by streams of living water, yielding fruit in its season, whose leaf does not wither, and in whatever he does, he prospers and comes to maturity.
In the mighty Name of Jesus I pray, Amen.
I love you to the moon and back.
Mom
















No comments:
Post a Comment