What is S.A.D.? According to http://www.sada.org.uk/whatis.htm:
SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a type of winter depression that affects an estimated half a million people every Winter between September and April, in particular during December, January and February.
It is caused by a biochemical imbalance in the hypothalamus due to the shortening of daylight hours and the lack of sunlight in winter.
For many people SAD is a seriously disabling illness, preventing them from functioning normally without continuous medical treatment.
For others, it is a mild but debilitating condition causing discomfort but not severe suffering. We call this subsyndromal SAD or 'winter blues.'
In the local news recently, it was reported that S.A.D. seemed to be especially bad this year. It was comforting to know what was hitting me hard these past couple of weeks. Winter blues or the mild S.A.D..
On the one day when the sun came out as I was driving, filling the van with sudden light and warmth, something happened in my brain that suddenly threw off the blanket that was seemed to be covering me, hampering all that I tried to do. Wow, the world seemed not so threatening any more. It was easier to walk, to smile, to live.
Did this affect my time with God too? Yes, it did.
It was a monumental effort to do anything. But, I forced myself, I read the Word, I wrote down in my journal what 'caught' my eye and I prayed it. I'm not going to say that I received any miraculous deliverance, because I didn't. All I know is, my emotions do not tell me the truth, but my God does. I have grown.
Thank You, Lord. I also know that God placed special people in my life who were upholding me in prayer. I can never repay such love. If any of these prayer warriors are reading this, please accept my deepest gratitude.
Last night was the last session in a 3-session workshop on Praying For Your Children by Shyamala Krishnan, our pastor's wife. Using her own journey and life experiences, she shared delightful and wise insights into interceding for your children. The auditorium was packed for all sessions. Obvious participants were parents who were anxious about their children and their futures and their obvious lack of control over everything. But there were, also, children ministry workers who were single, couples with no children yet and of course, grandparents. It struck me, as it did a while ago, how much westerners rely on 'how-to' workshops. Many will take steps learnt in the workshop and apply them studiously...for a while, but I fear that perseverance may fade.
Why?
Because it is prayer.
Prayer is essentially a relationship with God. Relationships require perseverance.
If we do not grasp that, then after we have given our shopping lists for awhile with no apparent results, enthusiasm will fade.
Westerners love results, instant results. When we do not see results, we look for other 'solutions'.
I know. I'm a westerner too. And I have had to learn that there are no short-cuts to developing a relationship.
So God has brought me to a point where there are no other solutions. He has brought me to the point where I know I need Him more than anything, where I know that only He satisfies. He is teaching me about trust. He is teaching me about His Word. With His strength, I can.
In my reading 2 days ago when S.A.D. was hitting me hard, I read and prayed Psalm 143--
vs.4...so my spirit grows faint within me (He knew!); my heart within me is dismayed...
vs.7...Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit faints with longing. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit.
vs.8...Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul.
vs.10...Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; may Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Father, thank You so much. I continue to trust. For those You moved to intercede for me, would You bless them with a special touch of Your grace this day? Thank You that You uphold all those who fall and lift up all who are bowed down (Ps.145:14). Touch us with Your glory, that blinding light of Your essence that blots out darkness. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
What is T.L.L.U.? : THE LORD LIFTS UP!


7 comments:
Sita, I really enjoy reading your writings. I'll definitely be saving this under "Blogs that Bless". Thank you for being so real with us. I just read last night on some lady's blog that she would read a verse out of a Psalm every morning & pick out one truth that she was going to say throughout her day. I thought that was pretty neat.
Well, I'll be back to Canada soon! :)
Blessings & hugs~
Lelia
Hi Sita,
You have so many good thoughts re: S.A.D. Living in the cold upper Midwest (Nebraska), my husband and I find ourselves fighting off seasonal "blues" during the deep winter. Thanks for the reminder that it is God who is our constant source of light! Blessings -- Meg Robison
Meg and Lelia,
Thank you for dropping by. You have blessed me with your words. Meg, I'm realizing that God's Presence is everywhere with me, even in 'winter blues'. All I need to do is look UP. Even if He does not blast away the 'darkness', I KNOW He is there and this knowledge comforts me. Blessings.
Sita
I am praising GOD for all the times HE sent someone alongside me to hold me up. His presence in them.
Hugs and prayers,
andrea
He says, "I am always with you..." and many times, he shows up in our 'friends'.. Blessings,
Andrea
Yes I understand those "winter blues" quite well. I too was surprised the other day how something as simple as sunshine can lift my spirits.
It is a reminder of how God lightens our inner lives. In Him we have freedom. In Him we can breathe again. He gives us reasons to smile and sometimes those reasons are very personal... private moments that are only shared between He and ourselves.
Blessings to you and keep reading His word. It does wonders to the spirit. Let Him handle the emotions that are too stubborn to listen to reason. :)
I am also affected with the seasonal change, its the fluctuating tempratures. Makes me sick.
Praying for you Sita and your family too.May the Comforter enfold your hearts , minds and bodies.
I love that song. Its my prayer for India.
Post a Comment