Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Soar...Run...Walk...

Last Sunday, our pastor made an observation that I had not noticed before. Whenever I have heard the text quoted below, the goal always seemed to be the "soaring like an eagle". Yet, in the order in which it is written, when we stop to renew our strength and hope in God, we first soar...then we run...and then we walk. It makes sense to me, the seasons of our life, the seasons of our journey of faith. We do soar in those mountaintop experiences and come down with the ability to run. But it is in the daily plodding, the persevering through a lengthy struggle that we walk. Psalm 23:4a says, Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil,for You are with me...

The past couple of months I confess I had 'lost heart' and that is reflected in my posts or rather lack of them. I really had 'nothing' to say. I had grown faint, was lagging behind, was weak, with no energy. Something disconnected and I failed to hope, wait, trust in God to renew my strength for the long haul. I confess my desire is to let this Scripture sink in, take hold and become reflexive action (a consistent pattern),no matter how tedious (and painful) the plodding gets, and it will.

My desire is to let His Word, the Truth, wash my mind and bring life to my inertness.

Will you join me? Read the Scripture below (in 3 versions), substitute your name where you see green underlined font.

***Beth Moore has put out a challenge to memorize 2 Scripture verses per month for 2009. Will you join? Click here.***


Isaiah 40:27-31 (The Holy Bible)

27 Why do you say, O Jacob,
and complain, O Israel,
"My way is hidden from the LORD;
my cause is disregarded by my God"?
28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
(NIV Version)
~~~~~

27-31Why would you ever complain, O Jacob,
or, whine, Israel, saying,"God has lost track of me.
He doesn't care what happens to me"?
Don't you know anything?
Haven't you been listening?
God doesn't come and go.
God lasts.
He's Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn't get tired out,
doesn't pause to catch his breath.
And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired,
they walk and don't lag behind.
(The Message)
~~~~~

27 Family of Jacob, why do you say,
"The Lord doesn't notice our condition"?
People of Israel, why do you say,
"Our God doesn't pay any attention to our rightful claims"?
28 Don't you know who made everything?
Haven't you heard about him?
The Lord is the God who lives forever.
He created everything on earth.
He won't become worn out or get tired.
No one will ever know how great his understanding is.
29 He gives strength to those who are tired.
He gives power to those who are weak.
30 Even young people become worn out and get tired.
Even the best of them trip and fall.
31 But those who trust in the Lord
will receive new strength.
They will fly as high as eagles.
They will run and not get tired.
They will walk and not grow weak.
(New International Readers' Version)


6 comments:

Joyful said...

Sita, thank you for reminding me that waiting is an action.

Soaring is effortless - it's being carried on the wind. Did you know that eagles are the only birds ever described as being able to soar? Walking takes physical stamina. So glad I don't walk alone. So glad for footsteps that mark the way.

Praying for you. May the Lord give you strength to keep walking - don't grow weary in doing good, for in due time you will reap if you faint not (Gal.6:9)

Love, prayers and hugs,
Joy
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

valerie said...

Sita,
I am so thankful that God saw to it that our paths crossed via blogging land.

You are so special and your blog has blessed me this past year.

I read a lot of different blogs and have made several new blogging friends this past year, but you will always hold a very special place in my heart, Sita. Your's was one of the first I started reading. We bonded from the start. You are a genuine woman of God...the real deal. You are not afraid to tell how you are really feeling....honest feelings and emotions. I love that about you. We are able to pray and encourage each other when we can be transparent like that.
I pray abundant blessings...not just financial, but blessings of health, joy, deep love for God & yearning for His Word, and much, much favor from Him in 2009!!
I believe in miracles and can't wait until next Dec. 31 to write about all of them we will see in the coming year.
Love you!
Valerie

The Dementia Nurse said...

Thank you, Sita for sharing your heart. This Fall brought me an extended stretch of the blah's as you describe them (just look at the number of posts I archived Sept - Oct). I hope you are feeling a bit better. It is a comfort to know others sometimes struggle as I do. We will all get there together - many thanks for your encouragement!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sita:
I love this post! It reminds me of the series I wrote on "walking our consecrated deserts." Rarely has my walk with Christ been a continual soaring. We've had some wonderful moments of riding the winds, but mostly, it's been a deliberate and obedient walk with Jesus, minus the bells and whistles of an experience.

I've found beauty in the deliberate, and even though my emotions often lag far behind, the trust and consistency of knowing that my relationship with God is on solid footing...

well, that almost always makes my heart soar.

I know that I know. He's real and good and watching over me. It doesn't always make sense, but it always seems right.

Keep to the road in 2009. Running, walking, soaring. I'm going to write these scriptures down and begin meditating on them, with my name inserted!

peace~elaine

Sita said...

Joy, Valerie, Gail, Elaine...and anyone else who pops by, may the New Year find us walking in His strength, energized in His light...Happy New Year!
Love, Sita

Saija said...

i get discouraged and faint hearted too ... but after that type of season is over, i am hopefully more patient with others that struggle ... i find that if i don't have a struggle myself, i tend to not understand someone elses weaknesses ... or to downplay them ...

thank you for the encouragement of this post ... and may 2009 bring bring you even closer to HIM who redeemed us!

blessings on you!