Tuesday, August 10, 2010

He Lowers to Raise

This Spurgeon devotional struck a chord with me this morning.
Maybe it will bless you too.

  
"Thy LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: 
He bringeth low, and lifteth up" (1 Samuel 2:7).
A     
ll my changes come from Him who never changes.
 If I had grown rich, I should have seen His hand in it, 
and I should have praised Him; 
let me equally see His hand if I am made poor, 
and let me as heartily praise Him. 
When we go down in the world, it is of the LORD, 
and so we may take it patiently: 
when we rise in the world, it is of the LORD, 
and we may accept it thankfully.
 In any case, the LORD hath done it, and it is
well.
            It seems that Jehovah's way
 is to lower those whom He means to
raise and to strip those whom He intends to clothe.
 If it is His way, it is the wisest and best way.
 If I am now enduring the bringing low, I may well rejoice, 
because I see in it the preface to the lifting up.
The more we are humbled by grace, the more we shall be exalted in
glory. That impoverishment which will be overruled for our enrichment
is to be welcomed.
            O LORD, Thou has taken me down of late and made me feel my
insignificance and sin. It is not a pleasant experience, but I pray
Thee make it a profitable one to me. Oh, that Thou wouldst thus fit me
to bear a greater weight of delight and of usefulness; and when I am
ready for it, then grant it to me, for Christ's sake! Amen.

4 comments:

Amrita said...

Beautiful devotional and song Sita, really touched my heart.

Yes the Lord has dealt like this with me too, but H e has not let me down.
He didn 't teaqch me to swim to let me drown.

Do pray for me and my church. We need to ressolve some tricky issues. Need wisdom and unity and sense of purpose among the brethren.

Sita said...

Amrita, I will...."Father, You are most holy and worthy to be praised. May Your kingdom be advance even as it is in heaven this day. Equip Amrita for all that is allowed in her life this day, in tasks and interactions. Help her to forgive with the same grcae that You have forgiven her. Lead her not into temptation, but deliver her from evil. To You, O God be the glory forever and ever. Amen."

Anonymous said...

Hi Sita,

This really touched my heart today. This is exactly how the Lord has been dealing with me lately. By his grace and mercy he has opened my eyes to see the sin that still dwells in me that I have been blinded with self righteousness to see. Oh, but I praise him for his grace, though my sins are many his grace is sufficient. Even though it is painful I thank God for loving me enough to show me. Keep me in your prayers and you are in mine :)

Sita said...

Anonymous,
I wish I knew who you were because your words touch me deeply. I am also where you are. Be blessed.
Sita