Friday, July 6, 2012

Prayer with thanksgiving = Peace + safeguarded heart and mind.


Philippians 4:6-7

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.
And God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
 Tonight I listened to John MacArthur speak on Thankful Prayer and it spoke to a condition of my heart: its lack of tranquility.

I have been experiencing bouts of anxiety, panic, fear, despair, and hopelessness as I contemplate the waves of the stuff of my life. And it is not minor.
Major issues like finding a place to live and the money to do so.
Wanting stability and security especially for my children.

Yes, I have prayed. So why the lack of peace?
As I listened to MacArthur as he preached on the above Scripture, he pointed out that the prayer is accompanied by thanksgiving. I also noted the word continue.
I have not thanked God for this state of affairs. In fact I have felt seriously betrayed by Him. Or felt unworthy to receive any favours from Him. And so at times I stop praying for this. 
Then the thoughts come: Why bother if it's futile? After all, this has been my life for more years than I care to remember.
What I see here, is that I have been disobedient and unbelieving. The disobedience (to thank and continue) stemmed from my unbelief in God's love for me, which Satan then grasped to his advantage and whispered the lie that my prayers were futile.
If I believe that God is sovereign (I do!), that He has my 'back' all the time, then indeed I can know for a fact that there is an overarching purpose in my circumstances. My directive is to keep my eyes turned to Him, not to human agents or the waves of distress.
The verse continues that it is that peace which will act as a guard, a military term, on my heart and mind from the tormenting anxious thoughts and lies.
And so tonight, Lord, I repent of my unbelief and disobedience. I thank You for these circumstances that are changing me eternally as I submit to Your perfect plan for my life. Forgive me of dreaming that human agents will 'rescue' me and save the day. Forgive me for lacking in confidence that You care. Lord, help my unbelief and help me to keep my eyes on You. Indeed, You are most worthy 'and the things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of Your glory and grace'.
I surrender to Your loving sovereignty with gratitude that You are working.
Tonight I accept the gift of Your peace that passes all understanding.
"Peace, peace, sweet peace,
Wonderful gift from above,
Oh, wonderful, wonderful peace,
Sweet peace, the gift of God’s love." 
(Refrain from Sweet Peace, The Gift of God's Love: Pe­ter P. Bil­horn, 1887

No comments: