Happy 17th Birthday, Daniel!
![]() |
| Daniel today. February 2015 |
![]() |
| Daniel-6 mths. |
![]() |
| Daniel and Nathan-2014 |
![]() |
| Daniel-10?? |
As I observed you this past year I saw:
...When the offering plate was passed, I saw you dip into your pocket and put something in. You did not look for the smallest bill. On our way home, you offered to get me Swiss Chalet. This was from your birthday money gift.
Generous. Obedient.
...When a certain authority figure demoralized you, you still spoke of him with grace. You continually forgive me when I mess up, like daily.
Forgiving. Gracious.
...You stick with friends even when they let you down or let themselves down.
Loyal.
...You earnestly listen to good sermons like Furtick and Chandler and I hear your assent. You look forward to going to Elevation on Saturdays to worship and listen to the Word.
You rejoice in truth. Seek righteousness. Love worship.
...You still make eye contact with me letting me in your unique way that you notice me.
Loving and sensitive.
...And how did you get to tower over me in just 1 year? And, yeah, you're super easy on the eyes. And let's not forget, you're still the best dancer around. Uptown Funk does not show even one tenth of your talent.
Tall. Brown. Handsome. Smooth Dancer.
...We don't have to pay for haircuts anymore. We don't have to pay for guitar lessons. Why? Because when you want something, you go after it with passion, looking at YouTube video after video, practicing and perfecting.
All that hair in the bathroom though.
I love to hear you singing and playing that guitar, my favorite instrument. And yes, you are good!
Determined. Resourceful. Talented. Persistent.
You are a gem to your family.
Thank you, son, for all you are.
I looked up your name again as I asked God how I could bless and exhort you on your 17th year. Here are excerpts about your namesake in the Bible taken from here:
"But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself." (Daniel 1:8)
Daniel was a young man of deep convictions. He knew and understood the ways of God, even in his youth. He must have spent much of his young life studying the law because he knew it well by the time he was taken captive into Babylon. Daniel knew the importance of remaining pure and undefiled, even in a culture that was saturated with pagan practices and idol worship. It was because of his love for God and his commitment to purity that God entrusted Daniel with the ability to understand and interpret dreams and visions. And this divine ability served him well many times during Daniel's service to the king.
Daniel was selected to be part of the king's court because he met certain criteria according to the king's request. The men chosen were to be ones "in whom there was no blemish, but good-looking, gifted in all wisdom, possessing knowledge and quick to understand, who had ability to serve in the king's palace." (Daniel 1:4)
Daniel, even as a youth, displayed these characteristics. He already was considered one of the best of the best. But because of Daniel's obedient and submissive heart, God took him and made him better. In fact, the Bible says that in wisdom and understanding, Daniel and his three friends, Shadrach, Meshac, and Abed-nego, were 10 times better than any of the magicians and astrologers in the entire empire.
Daniel remained steadfast, knowing that God would honor his choice to obey divine law rather than the laws of men.
Daniel had a greater respect for and fear of God than he did of the king. Knowing and believing that God would use him, Daniel kept his focus on God. In both the Babylon and the Persian Empires, Daniel was made great in the eyes of the kings and fellow men.
Wow. I know that's lot to wrap yourself around.
But there is much of Daniel in you and yet to be developed. Daniel developed all of this while a prisoner in exile, under great pressure and persecution. It is always in suffering that our character is changed to become more like Jesus.
If we let Him.
If we acknowledge our sin.
If we repent.
If we ask Him to teach us from it.
So, my last born son, I bless you with a broken and contrite heart, one that is quick to confess your mistakes and turn away from sin.
I bless you with the wisdom and understanding that comes from God as you seek Him and ask Him to let you see through His eyes.
I bless you with passion to make all you do an act of worship to Your Creator Who loves to watch you and delight in you. Even more than your Mom.
He notices you. All the time.
Prayer:
Father, thank You for the fascinating way You formed Daniel. You noticed him then, putting Your divine touches everywhere. You notice him now as a young man in a culture hostile to Your Presence where he struggles to be obedient and live out Your truth.
Please equip him with all that he needs to live out your purpose for him.
Please give him a driving hunger for righteousness and truth.
Please give him a heart that is tender to the hurting and broken to sin.
Please grant him a humble and grateful heart that acknowledges You as the Giver of all good things.
Please seal his value to You in his heart, so that he is not driven to find value in any other.
May he find favor in the hearts of those in authority over him as well as his peers.
May he have a deep fear of You so that he may be wise.
Strengthen him in his inner being so that he is able to have clarity of thought and sound thinking.
May any evil scheme set in motion to crush him be exposed and crushed. I pray that any destructive relationships be removed or transformed by You.
Grant him the ability to see with Your eyes, think with Your mind, love through Your heart, touch with Your Hands.
And so may he lead others to You.
I pray all of these things in the mighty Name of Jesus.
Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]—(Eph. 3:20-AMP),
...to Him be the glory forever and ever.
Amen.
Finally, I bless you with a love for silence where you can hear Him softly whisper as You surrender to His love:
"Here With Me" (Mercy Me)
I long for your embrace
Every single day
To meet you in this place
And see you face to face
Will you show me?
Reveal yourself to me
Because of your mercy
I fall down on my knees
And I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love
You're everywhere I go
I am not alone
You call me as your own
To know you and be known
You are holy
And I fall down on my knees
I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love
I surrender to your grace
I surrender to the one who took my place
I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender:
I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love
Every single day
To meet you in this place
And see you face to face
Will you show me?
Reveal yourself to me
Because of your mercy
I fall down on my knees
And I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love
You're everywhere I go
I am not alone
You call me as your own
To know you and be known
You are holy
And I fall down on my knees
I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love
I surrender to your grace
I surrender to the one who took my place
I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender:
I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love
Always, with Love, Thoughts and Prayers,
Your Mom.




No comments:
Post a Comment