Monday, March 30, 2015

Lenten Reflection - my Saviour Lives...

The Passion of Christ—a personal impact
(reposting from 2008 reflection)

The loathing

I recently attended a showing of the Passion of the Christ. Did I sob? Yes. During His scourging, during the mob beating, during the nailing of His Hands, the pulling of his arm out of the socket. 
Violence has always traumatized me. 

Was it anti-Semitic? Did I become inflamed at the Jews as some people insidiously suggest I might upon seeing what was done to my Lord? 
How could I? 
The atrocities crossed all ethnic boundaries, past and present. 
No, I became incensed at the same evil emotion I have become familiar with in our times. 
The kind that says, "I’m gonna put you in your place for challenging my status." 
That look in the eyes of Caiphas, Herod, the Roman soldiers, the mob. 


The look of demonic hatred. 
The hatred that brought down the Twin Towers, 
the hatred that dragged a black man to death, 
the hatred that killed millions of innocents of diverse ethnicities in civil wars all over the world, 
the hatred that takes away the innocence of children and teaches them to hate, 
the hatred that puts guns into the hands of our children, drugs into their system. 
The same hatred that called me "Paki" and pushed me off the curb. 
The loathing that has filled my own heart unconsciously and astonishingly at times when I want to see ‘them’ put in their place. 
I am incensed at the source of that hatred
the silent coordinator of all the atrocities performed upon our Lord,  
Satan himself.



The Look and the Love

I envied the people of New Testament times who got the opportunity to have Him look deeply into their eyes straight into their souls. 

One look from Him would surely pierce and bind, expose and forgive, cleanse and restore, satisfy and fulfill. 
And I am deeply affected by a love that I cannot understand. 
He could have called ten thousand angels to His side, to erase the smirks, silence the mockery, bind the strong scourging whips, to humiliate the arrogance. 
Yet He chose to do the unthinkable, to endure till death and utter the words,
"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do," and finally, "It is finished." 
His mission on earth was accomplished.
In the daze of pain, I can’t help but wonder if His mind found refuge at His home where He was worshipped and adored by angels and loved by His Father. 
He, who created this man was now spitefully betrayed by the same. All our sins were piled on Him that day. Hatred, envy, jealousy, pride, unbelief, injustice. He experienced all our emotions, endearing love, gut-wrenching betrayal, abandonment, isolation, helplessness. 
And finally, victory!


The Life

Our last brief view of Him shows Him who has conquered death. 
He has risen. 
In Him we find new life. 
This Christ now lives in me! 
He wants to live in you too, 
just ask Him.
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."
John 3:16 (The Holy Bible, NIV version)



...God sent His son, they called Him Jesus
He came to love, heal, and forgive.
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives...








My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine.
For thee all the follies of sin I resign.
My gracious Redeemer, my Saviour art Thou,
if ever I loved Thee,
my Jesus,
’ tis now.


8 comments:

Crown of Beauty said...

The words you wrote are so inspired and anointed, and somehow I felt the emotions that fueled your mind and heart to write this beautiful post. The anger and hatred you mentioned, yes, even the anti Semitism that we see once again gaining ground, the abortions, children born already afflicted with AIDS... child prostitution... Only the love of Jesus could be strong enough to conquer that and replace the death arrows with LIFE! And the song, MY Jesus I love Thee, is one of my favorite hymns, so is the other one you posted last week, O the deep deep love of Jesus!

Thank you once again for sharing your heart so openly.

Amrita said...

Violence makes headlines here every single day.

Many times I am a victim of it - not physically but mentally, emotionaly and spiritually. Its only the cross which gives me courage to go on.

Thank you for the post.

Peter Stone said...

Thanks for sharing this, Sita.
After all Christ endured at the hands of the very people He came to save, for Him to say, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." Wow, what an example of forgiveness for us to follow for those who persecute us.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A couple of weeks ago, I was speaking to some women at a luncheon and spoke about those "penetrating eyes" of Jesus and about John's "final portrait" of Jesus. John 21 gives us a rich picture of intimacy. Whereas the other 3 gospels finish with Christ's ascension (his going back to the Father), John's finishes with a portrait of Christ's coming to us--beach time. I have found great comfort in this picture...

Through it all, despite suffering, shame, and complete separation from his Father, the cross, the tomb and the rising up, Jesus remembers what he came to do.

To be with us.

For always.

I want to always be found faithful to make my way to the shore to be with him each day and to look into those eyes of deep love and receive my salvation.

Beautiful, beautiful, Jesus. Indeed, if ever I loved Thee, my Jesus tis now!

Blessed Easter walk to you and yours, Sita.

Love you.

peace~elaine

Sita said...

Dear sweet Elaine, you teach me to be quiet to listen, to look into the eyes of Jesus...have a blessed Easter, sister.

Peter, Amrita and Lidj, the 3 of you have had a significant impact on my life. Truly he has anointed you with His power. You have all known first-hand the fellowship of His suffering and His resurrection power. I thank God for you. Have a blessed Easter.

valerie said...

Thinking of you this morning.
I don't have to go to work until noon and am sitting her being lazy....listening to the thunder roll and raindrops hit my roof.
It's supposed to clear up and be a very nice Easter weekend.
I think of you often & always lift up a prayer for you and your family.
Blessings Sita!
Love you,
Valerie

Sita said...

Thank you, Val...we have had amazing weather here in Toronto--summer out here today after a wonderful Good Friday service...blessings to you,
Always,
Sita

Trudy said...

Hi Sita. I really needed this right now. I need to look to Jesus and what He has done for me instead of to the troubles surrounding me. I've always loved "Because He Lives," and it is so encouraging to hear it again today. Thank you. God bless you! Hugs!