Monday, July 13, 2015

Happy Birthday To My 22-yr-old First-born!

Happy 22nd Birthday, dear Nathan!

From my chubby-pink-cheeks baby:

to a 7-yr-old so proud and protective of your 3-yr-old brother who you had declared as 'my first son!' in kindergarten when he was just born:

And now, hello, you're old enough to have a girlfriend. Lord, have mercy!

You have shown sound judgement and discernment in this special relationship and we all adore her. Beautiful, inside and out. Moreover, we are glad she loves our Lord. She is an answer to prayer. You are blessed.

One more year of undergraduate studies and then graduate studies. Rest assured of our prayers and support as you continue to rest and trust in God's loving sovereignty in your life. I know it has been hard financially but I see you persisting in trusting.

The people who count want to see you thrive abundantly in God's purpose for you. Your grandparents' specific prayer is that you will not ever compromise His truth in your decisions.

That is also my exhortation for you in your 22nd year.
Truth and Purpose:
As I was reminded in the sermon this morning that university studies and the prevailing culture will do its best to erode any convictions you may hold that are absolute. Our culture says, there is no truth but your own: to each his own.
So my prayer is that you will allow your decisions, thoughts and knowledge to be informed by His Word. Jesus made claims that no one else has done: I AM. I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life. May your goal be as Oswald Chambers so sufficiently puts it: 
That I may know Him . . . . Philippians 3:10
"A saint is not to take the initiative toward self-realization, but toward knowing Jesus Christ. A spiritually vigorous saint never thinks of his life as being divided into the secular and the sacred. He sees every situation in which he finds himself as the means of obtaining a greater knowledge of Jesus Christ, and he has an attitude of unrestrained abandon and total surrender about him. The aim of a spiritually vigorous saint is 'that I may know Him.'" --Oswald Chambers, from My Utmost for His Highest.
My Dad also told me when someone mentioned Joel Osteen and his 'shallow' teachings, that we should be careful how we judge others. He reminded me that Osteen had reached many people and brought them to Christ that others could not. In other words, God uses us all differently to reach a specific 'harvest'. So never look down on a fellow Christian and his 'methods'. Thank God for the people he has helped and ask Him to show you His purpose for your life.

Let God define you:
You have also been getting a lot of 'labels' from the people you associate with, informally and formally, from the cop who thought you could be a thief, to a jealous friend who resents when you succeed, to a doting friend or parent who thinks the world of you. Don't let these labels define you.

My Dad gave me some excellent advice recently when I told him what other people had said about me and how they treated me. He said if there was a grain of truth, take it thankfully, repent and ask God to change you. However, aggressively reject any destructive labels by loudly declaring what God says about you. Then you will always have your thoughts washed by Truth and His value in you will become entrenched in your psyche; your default value:

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. - Philippians 4: 8-9

So, know what God says about you. 
https://bible.org/article/who-does-god-say-i-am
Rehearse that and don't ever repeat the bad that some have said. It is not worth the air time.

You are such a special young man. Wise, godly, caring, intelligent, and oh yeah, on the good-looking side. Like your Dad, I am so proud of you, not because of any accomplishments or even your darn good looks. It is because you are my son and you will always delight me.

And I love to hear you and your brother sing and see your moves. Jamming in the car is my fave.
When I am tempted to think of what I don't have, I have friends like Annie who tell me, "Look at Nathan and Daniel".
Wow, you two and Mike and my family.
I am blessed.

So my prayer for you, my son, comes from:

Philippians 3:10  (AMP)

10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[a]which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]
that you will purpose to know Him in all that you do, in all that life brings. May you think through His mind informed by His Word and Spirit, love through His heart unconditionally, speak through His mouth truth bathed in grace, touch with His Hands with kindness, respect and compassion, see with His eyes right through the rough exteriors to the needy heart. May God grant you wisdom and discernment to discard false and fine-sounding (in our age it is usually politically correct) rhetoric and the courage to stand for Him and truth. May you know His favour in the rest of your school year and any jobs. May you and Sarah continue to seek His face together.
Always,
With love, thoughts and prayers,
Your Mom.

No comments: