Saturday, September 27, 2008

Session 1 - To Live is Christ - The First Footprints


This first session pointed to the way we should train our children. Beth addressed the question:
How can we make an invisible God visible to children?

1. By learning to love Him ourselves. (John 14:19-23; 5:17)

2. By exerting primary influence while you can. (Prov. 4:1-4, 10, 20-21)

[tender in Hebrew means "soft-hearted, pliable."]

3. By personally demonstrating the relevance of God's Word. (Prov.3:5-6)

4. By seizing opportunities to teach about God. (Deut. 6:4-9)

5. By growing with them! (1 Cor. 13:11)

6. By dedicating them to God. (Prov. 22:6)

[train up in Hebrew means:

1. "to disciple."

2. "to dedicate."]

"Train a child in the way he should go,

and when he is old he will not turn from it. "


Beth also made some other observations based on Scripture and Jewish customs:

-children learn by repetition.

-children learn by 'seizing the moment'-applying God's truth in everyday life.

-children learn first thing in the morning. (Matt.6:33)

(She suggested putting a prayer journal, or a devotional, or a verse of the day out where everyone signs or writes request daily.)


This was sobering for me, realizing I have not trained up my boys as well as I should have. Thank God for His mercy and fresh new starts. Steve Green's Find Us Faithful speaks about the footprints we leave behind. Listen and pray with me.


3 comments:

Amrita said...

Another song which touches me deep inside.Really meaningful.

Somehow there are very few contemporary which i find soul stirring like this.

What you say about raising children is really true.

Kimberly said...

This is excellent! I have been thinking a lot lately about how it is MY responsibility to raise my girls to know Him! I'm going to copy down this list. Thank you for sharing it, Sita!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

After this particular session of the study, I printed the words of the Shema from Deut. 6:5-9 and taped them to the doorframe of my house. It remains there today...6 years down the road. It is also the prayer I have rolled up and stuck inside the prayer box charm on my necklace. This particular study really was the start for me in looking at scripture in a whole new light.

Enjoy friend.

peace~elaine