Sunday, January 25, 2009

Holy, Holy, Holy....

Isaiah 6:3(The Holy Bible, NIV Version)
And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."
Holiness...the one attribute of God that is voiced in triplicate in the Scripture...
....Holiness is a synonym for sanctity
, the state of being holy or sacred. Holiness means to be set apart.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiness)

“To me the greatest privilege in all the world would be perfect holiness. If I had my choice of all the blessings I can conceive of, I would choose perfect conformity to the Lord Jesus, or, in one word, holiness.” - Charles Spurgeon

Set apart...a cut above the rest...for the next 6 weeks, our church will be focusing on the holiness of God. You can download the podcasts here. Please sing with this clip which draws you into the community of believers praising the holiness of God....

And what do you think is the opposite of holiness? See this rabbi's commentary...

"...But what is holiness? The Jewish answer is both complex and surprising. It runs counter to what most people believe.
Common wisdom assumes that the opposite of “holy” (or “sacred” — they are the same) is the very negative-sounding “profane.” In Hebrew, however, the opposite is hol, meaning “everyday,” or “ordinary— with no negativity at all. The holy (kodesh) is just “extraordinary,” in the sense of transcending the ordinarily human and being like God. “Be holy,” we are told, “because I, your God, am holy.”

6 comments:

Cheryl Wright said...

The performance, the music, the words, the truth of it all. Soooo moving.

Amrita said...

Pray Gabriella is doing well and is not having any side effects

Crown of Beauty said...

Wow! This is one of my favorite worship songs, and watching all the instrumentalists, and the singers... I had goosebumps all the way. And I always imagine (actually it's beyond my imagination)what worship in heaven must be like! Thanks for your post, so deep and full of insight. The Extraordinary versus the ordinary. It makes me think twice... how my days can sometimes be so ordinary...

The Dementia Nurse said...

Sita, this post is FULL!!! I especially enjoyed reading Rabbi Hoffman's commentary on what holiness is and is not. You continue to enrich my life with every post!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I want to be God's "extraordinary" child. The pursuit of his holiness is the overriding passion of my heart and life. I know it is for you also. Listening to the song now...

Have a great week.

peace~elaine

Saija said...

amen ... and the closer we are to God, then the more we desire to be extraordinary ...

good post ... blessings on you!