Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thankfully Desperate...

Luke 10: 38b-39, (The Holy Bible, NIV)
...he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.
Ruth 1:3-5, 20
3 Now Elimelech, Naomi's husband, died, and she was left with her two sons. 4 They married Moabite women, one named Orpah and the other Ruth. After they had lived there about ten years, 5 both Mahlon and Kilion also died, and Naomi was left without her two sons and her husband.... 20 "Don't call me Naomi, " she told them. "Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. 21 I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me."

Again, one of my favourite Bible study teachers spoke to my heart last night. Beth Moore was suggesting why Mary was at Jesus' feet and not 'doing stuff'. Perhaps it could be traced to her name. Note the Scripture above that while her sister was named Martha, she was called Mary. One of the names that comes from the Hebrew root 'mar' meaning 'bitter' (http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Miriam.html) is Miriam or Mary.

Could it be that like Naomi, Mary had experienced a bitter life? Is that what drove her to Jesus' feet? (Beth observed that in all 3 scenes where she is pictured with Jesus, it is always at His feet.) A desperation to leave that 'bitterness' behind? A desperation to have a 'word' to dispel her bitterness? For she could see that Jesus held the key to her freedom.

If so, then we can thank God for our desperation, because for many of us, it is only in those moments that we throw ourselves at His feet, acknowledging our inadequacy, and His adequacy.

I think that if I was to be called by my 'state' over the past several years, I would probably quote Naomi above, "Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. 21 I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? [Naomi means 'pleasant'] The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me."

But it is precisely because I am so weary of it all, I have been spending time at His feet, in His Word. While I still have not sensed any clear 'word' from Him regarding my situation, I will stay at His feet, for I know without a doubt that He holds the key to my freedom.

What is making you desperate today, this month, this season? Are you weary? Then join me at His feet and stay there until He speaks. Perhaps you will find like everyone else who spends time there, that it is the Most High Place.


Sing with me:
No Higher Calling
Down at Your feet, O Lord,
Is the most high place,
In Your presence Lord,
I seek Your face, I seek Your face..
There is no higher calling,
No greater honour,
Than to bow and kneel before Your throne,
I'm amazed by Your glory,
Embraced by Your mercy,
Lord, I live to worship You.

LEBLANC, LENNYCopyright: 1989 DOULOS PUBLISHING


I invite you to hop over to Peter's blog and read a powerful testimony of clinging resolutely to Him despite....here.

8 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've always loved Beth's teaching on the names of Mary and Martha. Yes, desperation for a word drives me to Jesus' feet everytime. I've been too distracted to get there as much as I need to lately and have realized this today.

Just checking in friend. Please know that I am thinking about you.

peace~elaine

Peter Stone said...

Great post, Sita. I never noticed the different way in which the Bible records Martha and Mary's names before, nor guessed at the significance of Mary's name. Adds so much depth to her character and as to why she drew so close to Jesus.
I too praise God for those desperate moments that encourage us to wait at Jesus feet - He is in control, and He does hold our freedom.

Crown of Beauty said...

Loved this post, Sita. My first name is Maria, and one spiritual connotation of Maria is "bitter waters made sweet." It was at the bitter waters of Mara that God instructed Moses to throw a small tree, and the waters became sweet so the Israelites could drink. Isn't it beautiful how God speaks to us through our names? The song you referenced is also a favorite of mine... God will surely reward you with Himself as you continue to sit at His feet.

Amrita said...

Its true many times our helplessness and desperation drives us to God. I have experienced this in my life too.

When times were comfortable I was cruising along but desperate situation made me sit up and flee to the cross.

Joyful said...

Sita, my mom was sharing this Beth Moore broadcast with me the other morning. I missed it, but she saw it. She was sharing the exact same teaching you wrote about here. Obviously the Lord has something He desires me to learn from this lesson as well. I think He's calling me to come and spend time at His feet and rest in Him.

Thank you for being used by the Lord to call me a second time,
Joy

valerie said...

Thank you for this post Sita. I've heard Beth teach on this before and love this lesson. I loved reading about it again.
Thanks again for your sweet comment on my last post.
Have a great weekend.
Love,
Val

Saija said...

i've heard Beth speak on this too ... the Lord annoints her words, which in turn blesses us ... teaches us ...

i'm glad you shared ...

much2ponder said...

((((Sita))))) such a sweet post. Thank you so much for posting this and making me think. I also want to thank you for your honesty. So many "Christians" today feel they need to look as though they have it all together and this is a major problem in the church as a whole. But you are candid and truthful in your own issues. This is very refreshing to me. I will be back again soon to see what the Lord is putting on your heart to share. Blessings my friend:) you are loved.