Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Not all at once, but by degrees...

Today my Spurgeon devotional spoke to my heart.
At times, I despair of how long it takes me to grasp God's instruction, or why a particular trial keeps coming back and going on and on...
Then I realize how very much the culture of this age that expects quick and easy results has affected me.
God's way, God's timing is not mine...and it is always...perfect.

Follow to Know


Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord. (Hosea 6:3)

Not all at once, but by degrees shall we attain to holy knowledge,
and our business is to persevere and learn by little and little.
We need not despair, though our progress may be slow,
for we shall yet know.
The Lord, who has become our Teacher, will not give us up,
(Yay!..how comforting is this!)
however slow of understanding we may be;
for it is not for His honor
that any degree of human folly should baffle His skill.
The Lord delights to make the simple wise.

Our duty is to keep to our main topic and follow on to know,
not this peculiar doctrine nor that,
but Jehovah Himself.
To know Father, Son, and Spirit, the Triune God,
this is life eternal.
Let us keep to this,
for in this way we shall gain complete instruction.
By following on to know the Lord,
we learn healing after being torn,
binding up after smiting, and life after death.
Experience has its perfect work
when the heart follows the trackway of the almighty Lord.

7 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

I want to know Him more than anything in the world, well, except to see Him face to face. Will be soon, I'm sure. Love you, dear sister.

Sincerity said...

How very true. I too have been "infected" with today's thinking. It is so hard at times to wait on God's timing. He promises to finish the good work he's begun in us but sometimes its hard to see how and when that will happen.

The good news is that God's plan for our lives isn't sensitive or reliant to our emotional states. I praise God for his love and wisdom.

Thank you for sharing. God bless you!

Deb said...

Sita,

Your words speak to my heart.

Slow progress, yes.

But the goal.

To know Him beter and better.

My desire.

Sweet dreams.

The Dementia Nurse said...

Hello, my precious Sita!!! I have missed you so! Thanks for a reminder I cannot hear too often. I, too, suffer from "Are we there yet?" syndrome when it comes to growing in grace. Yes, God's timing is perfect. Thank you for saying it so beautifully. I believe this is the process Paul described, "Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12) He didn't mean work to be saved, he meant work to manifest the salvation we have already received. I'm so thankful to have you along as we walk this road - love you!

Amrita said...

That 'as right Sita , slow but sure. Since I am made of clay I fall back many times and Lord has to pick me up.

Crown of Beauty said...

Follow to know, dear friend. This is such a good post written by a veteran.

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I have left something for you on my Aug 31 post. It is my way of honoring you as a blog friend.

Love
Lidj

Sita said...

Hi Laura, Sincerity, Deb and Amrita,
Gail and Lidj,
You all inspire me the way you follow after God. Lidj, thank you for the award.