Friday, March 14, 2008

Nemo's Lesson

I carefully try to limit Sabbath day activities to those that overtly teach us about God. So I was dismayed when I saw my sons, the younger one, then 6 years old and the older, then 11, watching the movie, Finding Nemo. I confronted them.
"OK, guys, how does this teach you about God?"

Not missing a beat, my baby quipped, "It shows us that God’s in control!"

Seeing my unconvinced expression, he quickly added..."Aaannd..it's about living water!"

Uh-huh. Taken aback, I turned to my older son.

"Well, Mom, it’s the story of the Prodigal Son. He did not listen to his parents and got into trouble and he learnt to obey his parents."

They got to watch the movie.

Four years later, I'm still saying, Uh-huh.. and they're still high-fiving each other.

3 comments:

valerie said...

These kids are pretty smart, huh?
Smarter than we give them credit for so much of the time.
Thank you for the e-mail and I will try to touch base with in NYC but not promising I'll have access to a computer. I covet your prayers and can't wait to share my trip and memories when I return.
Love ya,
Val

Kimberly said...

hee hee
Kids are very smart! :)
But really, I do love it when we can find Biblical messages in movies they already love. :)

Anonymous said...

This is so cute, I never thought of Nemo this way.