Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blogathon2012: #22 - A New Resume


Matthew 6:30-34 (Amplified Bible)
33 But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.

Matthew 6:33

The Message (MSG)
 30-33"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.



This afternoon I started updating my resume.
A list of my accomplishments.
Good sign.
My resume brings back a history that became lost in the fog of depression.
A history that was good and fruitful. 
A history that shows I  am a lover of learning with my diverse educational pursuits in Accounting, Sociology, Biblical studies, Teaching English as a Second Language, Editing.
My employment history has centered around Accounting and Social Work.
My volunteer work has revolved around ESL tutoring, small group leadership in church and university, and as a camp counsellor.
And the stuff I do just because I enjoy it include blogging and/or writing, and reading.


However all I do revolves around my core goal: to glorify God with all that I am.
Which means pursuing excellence in all I do.


But, for a season depression sabotaged me. For several years I looked in the mirror and despaired.
There did not seem to be anything that displayed 'excellence'.
My self-esteem was dragging on the floor.
I went blank in a couple of job tests and interviews.
In this 'desert' season, God was stripping me of any 'strength' I had been relying on that took away from my dependence on Him. (See here.)
Painful.
I believe a new season looms before me.
The test is : Have I learnt my lesson?
Will I seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and allow Him to provide all that is needed?
It is one day at a time, one prayer at a time.


I look forward to this new season to pursuing Him through His Word and in prayer and reflection, and service.
I aim to record a new resume: a list of His accomplishments in my life. His-Story in Her-Story.


No comments: