Eugene Peterson introduces each book of the Bible with a short insightful summary of the theme. This has truly helped me to more fully understand books like my reading today: Nahum.
Basically, Peterson says that Nahum has a single message: doom to Nineveh/Assyria who were terrorizing the world at that time. They seemed invincible. Nahum's task was to "free God's people from Assyrian paralysis, free them to believe in and pray to a sovereign God."
The first chapter says that "God doesn't lose His temper. He's powerful, but it's a patient power. Noone gets by with anything." God is able and will deal with that which paralyses you. He says to Judah: "I've afflicted you, Judah, true. but I won't afflict you again. From now on I'm taking the yoke from your neck and splitting it up for kindling. I'm cutting you free from the ropes of your bondage."
So today, I don't know what is intimidating you today. I know what has been intimidating me for several years. I just know that God is not intimidated. So today, I claim that statement for me, that He is cutting me free and I praise Him. Would you like to place your name as well?
" I've afflicted you,______, true. but I won't afflict you again. From now on I'm taking the yoke from your neck and splitting it up for kindling. I'm cutting you free from the ropes of your (name your specific) bondage."
There is no One like our God.
Listen to Kris Allen sing "God of This City":

No comments:
Post a Comment