..I mean, in a nice way...I had 2 such moments recently and I believe I must record it for posterity sake (whatever that means(-; )..
..OK..it is my 9-yr-old's bedtime. So this mother (me) begins to get a tiny bit hyper..."Turn that gameboy off..it is time for bed!..Helloooo..did you hear me young man..It is time for bed!" I was totally in the I-have-to-get-this-done zone. Then my son said, not once, but twice (must be in the genes).."Wait, Mom, you have to see this...you have to see this.." I started, "Didn't.." when I looked at him and the tone of his voice for some reason filtered through my clogged-up senses. A voice said.."this is important to him that I see this..", so I looked patiently as he showed me how he scored a cool soccer goal. So, what do I say, "Oh, that's cool, son."
And what does my 9-going-on-20-yr-old say to grant me a huh moment? He looks at me with a wide grin and all-knowing eyes that bore through my soul, "Thanks, Mom, for pretending to care!"...HUH? Ok, I confess, I did have to force myself at first...but after I realized it sounded important to him [See, some of the parenting advice is working!], I really began to care!
Anyway, what a cool moment..I laughed and hugged my son.
Alright, my second son, the 14-yr-old goes to a youth conference last weekend. While I was gone, he called. When I came back home, I found out from my 9-yr-old that he had called and had asked to speak to my younger son to tell him that he missed him. My younger son with quite a bemused (I'm really getting mileage out of this word today!) expression said, "Yeah, that's all he said..It was quite disturbing!" So I go into this-is-so-not-normal-there-is-something-wrong mode. "Are you sure that is all he said!? That is not like him! Think! Think! Are you sure?"
"I'm sure, Mom..I was quite disturbed." (with a wry smile and a nod).
Well, I'm sorry to say, I had no smile. I quickly went into Call History, saw a strange number, redialed. Got an answering service. A few moments later, my son called. "Hey Mom, tell my brother to stop calling me and annoying me..this is my friend's cell!" (doesn't sound like the same one who just called to tell his brother he missed him!)...
"That wasn't him, that was me..your mother...he told me you called to say you missed him..."
"Missed him?..NOOOOO..He is so messed up...I said I loved him! (WHAT?! HUH!)..the workshop speaker told us to call someone and say you loved them!...HAHAHAHA...and my friend called his sister and she thought he was on some drug!"..OK..bye Mom!" Click. (Hello?..no I-love-you-Mom???)
Aren't these HUH moments just so precious? I wonder if I give God those. Probably not, he already knows what I'm going to say before the words are even formed in my brain. But God sure gives me HUH moments as I get glimpses of His mind. Such a delightful moment in time. But I guess I understand what he means when He say He delights in His children because I delight in the boys He has lent to me for a while!
Father, thank You for delight. Thank You for HUH moments. Thank You for granting us those glimpses of You where warm light suffuses our brain with delight. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment