Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Valley of humiliation...

In my reading in Oswald Chambers My Utmost for His Highest today, it spoke of the valley of humiliation, you know, the place where you come back to after the mountaintop experience that was poetically beautiful, the place where your faithfulness is revealed when humiliation sets in. Oh my, it was definitely that kind of day. Like David, my sinful self was ever before me. And just like Satan, our faithful accuser, the reminders of past hurts, wounds, injustices came pouring in. My stomach was in knots and the frenzy filled my spirit. So I came down and listened to some old gospel hymns including Amazing Grace and Oh The Deep, Deep, Love of Jesus sung Old Southern gospel style. I would not be caught dead listening to that in my youth. Strains of Arima Evangelical (my old childhood church) singing filled my memories and I smiled as I realized what the words meant to people wounded and weary in battle, people who needed to be reminded of His wondrous grace. Oh, the arrogance of youth!

I also went to my room and battled to have a quiet time with my Lord. It was definitely a battle as I fought to concentrate. Part of it was physical, and it was so dreary and grey outside, but I know there is a spiritual battle going on as well. God is still good and faithful. How I love Him! And here is part of my reading from Spurgeon today to bless me...oh my.. that guy can really say it!...
Our hope in Christ for the future is the mainspring and the mainstay of our joy here. It will animate our hearts to think often of heaven, for all that we can desire is promised there. Here we are weary and toilworn, but yonder is the land of rest where the sweat of labour shall no more bedew the worker's brow, and fatigue shall be for ever banished.

Father, I know that some of my friends are battling depression with me at this time of year especially. It is such an uphill climb. The mountain is so steep at times that all we want to do is curl up and hide in Your chest. The valley of humiliation is where we live for Your glory. Please speak Your Life into our minds, our spirits, our bodies, right now. Inject us with Hope and bring a lifting in our steps. Say, "let there be light" and dispel the darkness and gloom. Your Word is enough. I humbly come to Your Feet and pour my wretched self. It is all I have right now. Use me, glorify Yourself in me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: