Saturday, September 29, 2007

O, the deep, deep love of Jesus...

What a full weekend this has been, starting on Friday morning with the memorial service for Abe Wiebe, a missionary who had been in the Arab ministries for 40 years, a man my husband knew and loved. I sat in the service and listened to why this man was so loved. I listened to how he hungered after his God. I heard that he never stopped learning until his death at age 70. He was known for his enthusiasm for living and loving. My spirit was deeply moved as I saw the legacy he was leaving behind. In my mind's eye I saw Abe entering heaven and Jesus was coming towards him with twinkling eyes. Abe was staring at him with a silly grin. Abe!... Jesus! The greetings were marked by a fondness and affection that only a long standing relationship can bring. Two epals meeting after a lifetime of communicating joys and sorrows. Awesome! I left the church singing "T'is so sweet to trust in Jesus, Just to take Him at His Word, Just to rest upon His promise, Just to knowThus saith the Lord. Jesus, Jesus, How I trust Him, How I've proved Him o'er and o'er, Jesus, Jesus, Precious Jesus, O for grace to trust Him more."

I came home and just wanted to be alone to savour the grace that descended on me after I left that service. Since there were people in my house, I grabbed my Bible and headed out to my minivan. Sunshine poured down and the wind picked up speed and I listened in the sacred quietness to the rustling of leaves and savoured the warmth of the sun. It was a holy moment. I realized, I understood, why Abe's favourite hymn had been "O the deep, deep love of Jesus". This love had touched this man deep in His spirit. This love had impelled this man to go out and share. Listen to the words at this link and be blessed: (turn on your speakers!) http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/kenskorner/deeplove.html

Father, thank You for sacred quietness. Thank You for holy moments. Thank You for allowing me to touch and feel the deep love of my Jesus. If there are any who read this whose spirits are in a frenzy because of their circumstances, will You give them a holy moment of sacred quietness where they feel bathed in Your sunlight and sense the refreshing wind of Your Spirit offering a soothing healing to their spirits. I offer my life up to You for Your glory. Take my life and let it be, always, only, all for Thee. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: