Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ever, only, all for Thee...

This morning as I was taking my brisk walk, the words to an old familiar hymn started coming to my lips, "T'is so sweet to trust in Jesus, Just to take Him at His Word, Just to rest upon His Promise, Just to know 'Thus saith the Lord"... I am at an age where I'm losing short term memory but where hymns I sung in my childhood with no meaning are coming back with profound meaning. Isn't our God amazing? He knew exactly when I would need those words and fashioned my brain cells accordingly.
In earlier blog posts I have spoken of the many friends God has allowed to touch my life, yet not one of them is able to satisfy my complete need for all that I need in a friend. There have been more times than I care to remember when I have felt abandoned, alone, isolated and that no one would understand. Like Jeremiah, I have travelled the road of depression where such emotions abound. It was in those times that I realized that God wanted me to know His Friendship, consistent, ever-present, satisfying. He wants me to run to Him first and foremost.

When I think of the theological thinkers who have impacted me profoundly, like Spurgeon, Thomas a Kempis, C.S. Lewis, J.I. Packer, just to name a few, I think of the relationship they must have had with God to reveal His heart so insightfully and succintly. That is my desire as shown in an old hymn, Take My Life and Let it Be: this is my prayer today...

Verse 1:Take my life, and let it be Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;Take my moments and my days, Let them flow in ceaseless praise. Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Verse 2:Take my hands, and let them move At the impulse of Thy love;Take my feet, and let them be Swift and beautiful for Thee. Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Verse 3:Take my voice, and let me sing Always, only, for my King;Take my lips, and let them be Filled with messages from Thee. Filled with messages from Thee.
Verse 4:Take my silver and my gold: Not a mite would I withhold;Take my intellect, and use Ev'ry pow'r as Thou shalt choose. Ev'ry pow'r as Thou shalt choose.
Verse 5:Take my will, and make it Thine, It shall be no longer mine;Take my heart, it is Thine own, It shall be Thy royal throne. It shall be Thy royal throne.
Verse 6:Take my love, my Lord, I pour At Thy feet its treasure store;Take myself, and I will be, Ever, only, all for Thee. Ever, only, all for Thee.
http://www.hymnlyrics.org/lyricst/take_my_life_and_let_it_be.html

2 comments:

Cheryl Wright said...

Nothing we put on or in our bodies changes God's divine plan of aging.

We may look younger and walk a little faster and more upright, but only for so long. The aging process progresses.

Forgetting thoughts from a few minutes ago can be distressing when we are in the midst of the busyness of our day.

Then, like you said, our aging brain cells recall a memory, formerly insignificant but now it explodes with vivid imagery and profund meaning.

When we consider how this could be, our only conclusion is, it has to be - only God, only God.

Sita said...

Just re-reading my entire blog to remember. What a beautiful thoughtful response, my friend. In an older post I thanked God for you, the friend who inspired me to start a blog!