Tuesday, October 23, 2007

So how does Beth do that...

I finally know what a "bemused" [to cause feelings of tolerant amusement; confusion] expression is and it is all due to Beth Moore. I have read Exodus, Numbers and Leviticus many times before and I have managed to break all records in speed reading when going through the technical aspects of building the tabernacle. Well, not this week. Who knew that metal, fabric, wood, colour, or precious stones had any eternal significance? Well, I guess Beth did 'cause..Wow! OK..Just a glimpse for you:

--God's choice of wood was acacia for the altar. Why?! You must be asking! Beth says it was known for its incorruptibility because it resisted decay. Scholars link this wood to Christ's humanity--(Ps.16:10)--His body never decayed. A striking parallel is that both the acaia wood and Christ bore heavy sharp thorns.
--Gold=>rarity and purity=>God's deity.
--Silver=>redemption and atonement.
--Bronze=>strength and judgement.
--Precious stones=>God's children.
--Purple=>most valued colour among ancient cultures=>royalty, knigship, elegance.
--Blue=>of heavenly descent.
--Scarlet=>sins.
--Fine linen=>religious acts of saints.
I guess I missed the part in Exodus 25:9 where God said "Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you". Hebrews 8:5 says it was "a copy and shadow of what is in heaven". Who knew God was also the ultimate interior decorator and architect?

Beth even had us draw the tabernacle in proportion to the measurements and place the different tribes, altar, basin etc...I did not understand why this woman was making us go through this exercise, but knowing that God had a purpose for every detail, I can only say that as I look at my blueprint, I say "Wow!"

Hey..nothing of God's plan for you is wasted material. God planned your purpose meticulously for His glory. Even your role. The sons of Korah (Levites) were assigned to help near the tabernacle, just under Aaron and his sons, but they rebelled wondering why Aaron and his sons placed themselves above everyone else. They forgot that it was God who had made the assignments. So they were all buried alive when the earth opened up. But there was a remnant because Beth led us to the Psalms. specifically Ps.84 written by the sons of Korah and it really makes for a more profound understanding...Beth paraphrased it: "O God, Our Shield, You may turn Your face to look on us once more. We are the anointed servants You assigned to a task. We are not guilty of our fathers' sins, for we have found complete satisfaction in your courts! Hear from our hearts, O God! We are a people humbled to accept any form of servitude You would grant us. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than to take up residence in the finest abodes this world could boast. For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere." (Moore, Beth, A Woman's Heart: God's Dwelling Place, p.89) How cool is that!

Pray with me:
Father, thank You that You have planned our purpose, our tasks, down to the finest detail. But God, we are blind and deaf and cannot see or hear Your plan. Please unplug our ears, remove the scales from our eyes to see and hear. Cleanse our hearts, bring to our consciousness the specific sins that have not been dealt with, so that we can approach Your throne boldly with clean hearts. We see in Your Word that satisfaction comes from walking in Your way, Your will. We want that. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: