Thursday, April 17, 2008

Meet the Browns

My hubby and I went on a date on Tuesday night. We went to see "Meet the Browns", Tyler Perry's movie. Again, it was easy to see why he gets scathing reviews, but also why he is able to deeply touch many others. Read the excellent review on Christianity Today.

Poignant moments for me included:
- the daycare provider, although protesting that she needed to be paid, still makes time for the single mom and tells her, "God always makes a way." Do you believe this? How have you seen Him work in 'impossible' situations?
-the oldest son's hurt and protest at the hardships his mom has to face. His tears were deeply felt. Here was a son whose love for his mother went far deeper than the hurt from his father's lack of love.
-when he told his Grade 3 buddy he could not sell drugs, his friend sadly acknowledged that while he could see that was not for him, that he himself would never be anything but that...

...this was a hurtful splash of reality that I have seen right here in Toronto. Young black men without hope of a better future, gang leaders propagating that they have no choices, giving them a place to belong. The eyes are sad with pain going so deep, that only true love, Jesus, the Hope of glory, is able to reach in. I know, I have been to the funeral of a teen who wanted to change, but a rival gang gunned him down before he had a chance. I looked at the eyes of the teens who came to the memorial service and I hurt for them.

Who will give them a chance, Lord? My heart is so moved by compassion for them, because You live in me. My sons get to hear how much I love them, how they make me proud. They have a mother who is able to drop them off and pick them up from school. They have a father to watch guy movies with, to play with. Father, please move the hearts of more men, godly role models to walk alongside these 'at-risk' youth. Please give their moms a break, so that they have more patience and gentle words for their children. Show Yourself to be the Perfect Father for them, Lord. I surrender my concerns to You Who knit together each one of these precious young men for a glorious purpose. May the wider community stop viewing them through fear and suspicion, and instead see them as You see them. In the precious Name of Jesus, I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

This prayer is beautiful, Sita. Simply beautiful. I pray in agreement with you!