John 13:34-35 (The Holy Bible, NIV version)
"A new command I give you: Love one another.
As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
By this all men will know that you are my disciples,
if you love one another."
Last Sunday we travelled back from Muskoka where my son had his final quiz meet for the year. It was a 'dampening' weekend, the ongoing cold rain and gray skies quenched the exuberance of our Rexdale teams this year. What chilled me was not only the weather, but also the chilly looks from some people unused to the Rexdale 'volume'. We are quite the multicultural, exuberant bunch. We love to celebrate! We are also unlike others from a homogenous Caucasian community, where a specific type of behaviour is deemed acceptable. While most have become used to our differences, and dare I say, have begun to even like us, there are some 'new' ones whose looks of alarm and one man in particular with a look of smoldering contempt aimed at our Haitian youth pastor, that brought back the old memories of rejection because I was different.
But do you know what, I was also finishing my homework for the Beth Moore study, and was reading about agape love, the love whose origin is the heart of God. I felt the tug. "Show them that I love them". So when the 'new' team won an award, I went to hug that beautiful young teenager in front of her coaches. I congratulated her on an amazing award. God was making me see all who 'despise' me as 'perfect in Him.' So cool. I got to hug Jesus, I got to smile at Jesus.
I also realize that I am now consciously refusing to accept any 'cloaks' given to me by man--cloak of unworthiness, shame, victimization, contempt, etc. I am wearing a glorious cloak, Cloak of Acceptance in the Beloved. That is all I need. Yes! Christ in me, the Hope of glory.
Father, I pray that You will open our eyes to see those who have hurt us through Your eyes. Help us to activate Your love and so disarm Satan in his scheme to build angry walls between Your children. The love that You give goes deep and just yearns to be expressed. The love You give sees beyond the offensive act to a heart that needs Your love. Wow, what a glimpse of Who You are. Thank You, Lord. Love through me. In Jesus' Name, I pray, Amen.
Psalm 16:11a (AMP) You will show me the path of life; In Your Presence is fullness of JOY;
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
We Are One In The Spirit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sita,
I'm so glad you are listening to the Father and putting on that cloak of acceptance etc.
You are a precious child of His.
I think some people just don't know how to be joyful and have a good time. They are probably secretly wishing they had some of that joy or were not to uppity??
to show it.
You go girl!
Love ya,
Val
Val,
Thank you for loving me and so many others deeply.
Sita
Beautiful song and message. I used to sing it while growing up, it brought so many memories. God bless you.
Go ahead be what you are Rexdale Team.Don 't worry about the chilly looks.
I know what you mean.There is so much pride and prejudice in the world even Christian.Why can 't we accept people who are different from us.
My sister 's family are the only Indians in their church in NB , they are much loved and accepted there and in their community. They love that place because of it.
Post a Comment