Monday, November 17, 2008

Continuing Strong...


Pressing on Toward the Goal

Philippians 3:12-14

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Our pastor of Adult Ministries spoke on Sunday and talked about the vision statement of the Evergreen ministry for seniors. He said they had balked against the term "finishing strong" and preferred the term "continuing strong." He said they weren't cramming for the finals just yet. (He's a riot!)

Then I read this morning's devotional at Walk In The Word about pressing on. James MacDonald talks about our complacency in our spiritual life. We have a tendency to put it in 'cruise' when we think we have reached a comfortable level. Please read the entire devotion by clicking above.

I don't know about you, but in my own spiritual walk, I have found no 'cruise' control. It's either pressing on or growing distant. Either way, there is motion, forwards or backwards. It is our choice. Do we continue to press on, growing in intimacy with God and reaching for that prize that God has called us to? Or do we let our relationship with Him slide, our hearts grow colder, our life purpose dimmed?


Let me encourage you today to continue strong, press on, no matter what the storms around you bring. 1Corinthians 5:16-17 says:

16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.

I have met many who shine with His glory. And it is because they press on and continue strong. They are able to do so, not because of their own strength or determination, but an act of will to allow Him to work glory in their hearts. It is His work, His glory, His power at work.


Are you weary today? Turn to Him, and ask Him to take over. In your weakness, He promises to be strong. Have a wonderful week!


6 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Always pressing on. Pressing in and keeping to the road. The song is exquisite! I'm trying to peg the voices...

peace~elaine

Amrita said...

Good encouragement in the song.

I like your new family photo

valerie said...

Beautiful, Sita. I've never heard this song before. So true!
I put some awesome promises on my blog today.
Thanks!
Love,
Val

valerie said...

I can't believe it's snowing there. Do you know that today it got up to 76 degrees here in Oklahoma?!!! I wore a light sweater and have been burning up all day. I'm sure it'll be freezing cold tomorrow....that's how the weather is here. I am enjoying the sunshine though.
You enjoy the beautiful snow!

Cheryl Wright said...

You're so right Sita, I checked. There is no "cruise control" on the Christian Living dashboard.
There is only pressing on and falling back.

We are so adept at devising our own way, our own version of the Christian life. We slip in all kinds of devices and practices and even vacation times. Absurd really.

As Jesus was always busy about His Father's business and the work He had to do, so must we be ever busy living holy lives, fighting the good fight of faith, separating ourselves unto God, sharing the gospel, exhorting and loving one another and pressing on.

Of course we must take care of our bodies, God's temple. But in in doing so, we cannot be cruising. Even in physical rest our hearts must be focused on pressing on the upward way, new heights to gain every day, praying as we onward bound, that Christ will plant our feet on high ground.

The Christina life is an active life - living, working, praying, praising, etc. The thing with the Christian life is that we are built up and strengthened in the active pursuit of the prize of the high calling of God our Saviour.

The Dementia Nurse said...

Sita, I LOVED your thought: in my spiritual walk, I have found no 'cruise control'! That is such a powerful image; it encourages me to be more mindful of the state of my own walk. Thanks for sharing!