(Picture from ctv.ca)
...and he was only 15 years old. He got into an argument with his parents over his obsession with a video game. It was confiscated. He ran away. Hundreds of people searched and prayed for him. Last week, his body was discovered under a tree. A post-mortem revealed that he had died as a result of falling off that tree. Today was his memorial service with moving comments from his family here.
Last Friday, I had to pick up my own 15-year-old at an unfamiliar route. It was a dark and rainy night, my worst time for driving. Since my husband was working, my 10-yr-old accompanied me. On a dark, unfamiliar road, with the cold rain beating down, I realized I was lost and slowly a terror began to build in me. I started sobbing and praying and my 10-yr-old joined me. I was afraid not for myself, but that my son would be outside waiting in the cold, in the dark.
Slowly, I realized I was thinking of Brandon, whose death seared my soul, the second death in a week. I imagined him, lost, alone, afraid as the darkness fell, the cold paralyzing his limbs. The teenage rebellion had long since dissipated. That stupid game meant nothing any more. He was a child once more, longing for Daddy to come rescue him. Longing for Mommy to hold him close so he could feel safe again. A helpless babe. Nothing so beautiful in God's sight.
Last Friday, I had to pick up my own 15-year-old at an unfamiliar route. It was a dark and rainy night, my worst time for driving. Since my husband was working, my 10-yr-old accompanied me. On a dark, unfamiliar road, with the cold rain beating down, I realized I was lost and slowly a terror began to build in me. I started sobbing and praying and my 10-yr-old joined me. I was afraid not for myself, but that my son would be outside waiting in the cold, in the dark.
Slowly, I realized I was thinking of Brandon, whose death seared my soul, the second death in a week. I imagined him, lost, alone, afraid as the darkness fell, the cold paralyzing his limbs. The teenage rebellion had long since dissipated. That stupid game meant nothing any more. He was a child once more, longing for Daddy to come rescue him. Longing for Mommy to hold him close so he could feel safe again. A helpless babe. Nothing so beautiful in God's sight.
Luke 18:17 - "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
So God ran to him and wrapped him up in His arms.
Why God? He looks just like my son...so beautiful...Did You send a special angel to wrap wings around him? To escort him into Your Presence?..You must have...The incredible love I feel for this child who is not my own fades in the light of Your perfect love for him, for he is Your Own. Thank You. Please give his parents, siblings and friends the comfort and counsel they need from You. Thank You, Lord.
I post this song in tribute to Brandon, The Prayer, sung by Charlotte Church and Josh Groban, two of the most beautiful voices on this earth. Why? Their voices transport you into heaven as you pray along with them in song. The beauty of their words and voices are synonymous with the beauty I see in Brandon. And he is now safely wrapped in Beauty.
Why God? He looks just like my son...so beautiful...Did You send a special angel to wrap wings around him? To escort him into Your Presence?..You must have...The incredible love I feel for this child who is not my own fades in the light of Your perfect love for him, for he is Your Own. Thank You. Please give his parents, siblings and friends the comfort and counsel they need from You. Thank You, Lord.
I post this song in tribute to Brandon, The Prayer, sung by Charlotte Church and Josh Groban, two of the most beautiful voices on this earth. Why? Their voices transport you into heaven as you pray along with them in song. The beauty of their words and voices are synonymous with the beauty I see in Brandon. And he is now safely wrapped in Beauty.
13 comments:
Sita, this is beautiful. What a sad story this was to follow. Having a 16 year old son, it hits close to home.
I just purchased my first Josh Groban CD - his voice touches deep inside - incredible voice!
Blessings tonight,
Joy
Joy, I knew it would touch you as well. We both have a teenage son and would have followed the story as it unfolded in the news. When his friends described him in the service, it could have been my own son. My heart truly hurts for his family and buddies.
Josh Groban's voice is indeed incredible. A true gift.
Blessings Sita...What an awful tragedy and loss for the family & friends! This is too many for you so close. I know how that hits home when you have sons! How trivial the Xbox game seems now~how great the Father is that loves this young person! I remember the song "When God Ran" that you & Lynn recently posted and I thought how loving you are & your heart to leave such beautiful words & these two beautiful songs! I have this song on my playlist & Josh Groban & the angelic voice of Charlotte Church
makes "The Prayer" an aMazing tribute to usher this child into God's Kingdom. Indeed he is wrapped in LOVE complete & Beauty like this
Life is so hard. I have sons and losing them is something that consumes me unless I take those thoughts captive. I have also been guilty of not picking one up on time. By God's mercy they are all grown up now. I'll be praying for Brandon's family.
Dear sweet Peggy, always showing your heart of compassion and mercy..may God wrap you in His love and beauty this night.
Van, thank you for reminding me to take my thoughts captive. My own son was sick the past week and I know how fragile life is and fearful thoughts invaded. I know where 'fear' comes from, and it is NOT from God. God bless you.
What a tragedy to bear - just can 't imagine how it must be for the family.
Your own dark experience is very moving Sita. I 've also felt this in a different sort of way when the road seemed slippery and unsure. I could only cry out the name of Jesus , not knowing how to put my prayer into words and He ran to me and I experienced MY PRAYER being answered. Beautiful song.
That is so sad about Brandon. I know his family is heartbroken.
I will certainly keep them in my prayers. What a handsome young man.
I'm sorry that you were lost and couldn't find your son. That is such a terrible feeling. I hope you found the way to him soon.
Thanks for sharing the beautiful song. It gets to me every time. The two of them sing it so well together.
Have a very blessed weekend, Sita!
Love you!
Sita,
I sit here with the song playing and tears streaming down my face. My own son is 16.
I felt your fear and pain looking for your own son. There are times when Josh is coming home from work that he is running late and my heart seems to stand still those extra minutes.
I will keep this family in my prayers. Bless you for posting it so we may know to lift them up.
((hugs)) to you, my friend.
Debra, Val and Amrita,
Thank you for your thoughtful comments...we all have known that paralyzing fear at one time or another..but if we did not, we would never know of His comfort and deliverance...love you all..
Sita
This is so sad. We know God is in control and nothing passing Him that He doesn't allow. However, this is one of those things I struggle so much with. Why allow what seems to us as such a senseless death, the death of a child. I often think of Steven Curtis Chapman and wonder why His daughter was killed in such a senseless way. I think I could handle a child's illness turning fatal better than just a mistake or just an accident. At least through an illness, as I've seen, God shows His Hand to the family and we can see good but this...
I just don't know.
I think of you and your friend often. I've prayed for her over the months. Email me and let me know how she's doing.
Sweet blessings,
Paula
Who can fathom the depths of such pain...such tragedy? My heart is heavy with this news. How grateful I am for children who make it home, safe and sound each day.
peace and prayers~elaine
Hi Sita,
Just to say, how terribly sorry I am to read this post. Just imagine! A vedeo game can take a life!
This post is remarkable in many ways....
Julia
Post a Comment