The first, into eternal glory into the arms of a waiting Father;
The second man, into an earthly glory, the office of the President of the United States of America. I will address the second man whom we all know by now as Barack Obama in another post.
But for today, I want to tell you about a man I actually never spoke to, but have been praying for for some time. The Father's love for him overflowed in my heart, as does the grief I feel this day, mixed with the wonder of him reunited with His Father, knowing joy unbounded.
His name is Richard and he, his wife and 2 sons sat a couple of rows down from me in the Sunday service for quite some time. He was easy to notice. He looked like he stepped out of a GQ magazine, with the elegance of John Kennedy Jr. and the good looks of Pierce Brosnan. Then, it was announced that headaches he had been experiencing were traced to a brain tumour. Some time much later, I was so saddened to see that he had lost the vision in one eye. That short curly dark hair was missing. This was not the face I had grown used to seeing. I saw him holding his head in pain. I felt a loss. I felt at a loss. Not him!
How could this happen? He was so young. His wife is young. His sons are young.
We, as a congregation started praying in earnest. We hoped and prayed. The news seemed to get worse. We prayed some more. Then last week, ground-breaking surgery was performed by the most qualified surgeon in the world for this procedure. It was deemed 100% successful!
Wow, we were overjoyed and were sure God was about to display His unparalleled glory.
Then the next day, he suffered a massive stroke, was placed on life support. After 72 hours, the plug was pulled and he passed on to glory, leaving behind a wife who would no longer have her best friend and love of her life at her side, and 2 beautiful sons. It certainly did not make sense, but that does not make God senseless; just the God whose thoughts and plans are not ours, but perfect in wisdom, love and intent.
Today, I attended his memorial service. His life spanned 39 years. So very young. Moving tributes from friends spoke of a man who bridged gaps, a friend to all, a team player, a man who loved Jesus. But the most telling of all was the poem his son, 10-years-old, wrote:
I went on your bike, when I still rode a trike,
The place we lived was Vaughan, and you cut the lawn.
One day we hiked, which we really liked,
After that we went for a swim, just when it was getting dim,
At the twilight, just before the night,
We had a fire, and sang like a choir.
Now you've left us for the sky, you were the best kind of guy.
I'll hold you close within my heart; we'll never really be apart.
God loves you and so do I, now it's time to say goodbye.

My last memory of him was of a man intentionally loving his son, giving him his 100% attention as he knelt down to talk with him eye to eye. I stood transfixed when I saw that, for I knew it was an eternal moment. I drew this sketch today in his memory.
Richard Ramos
1969 - 2008
I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7
Please sing along as you listen to the song chosen by Richard's 2 sons as the song their Dad loved to sing with them:
As I walked past his wife, feeling the weight of her grief and the emptiness of a road without her spouse and the father of her 2 boys, God gave me a gentle impression inside, that it is a new page for Suzie, one on which He will write, and she and her 2 sons will know the restoration of hope and joy again. A new chapter to be written, with freedom as a key word. Thank You, Lord.
11 comments:
What a lovely tribute. Always so sad when the world loses one so young. May the Lord bless his family with peace and comfort. Blessings...
Reading your post I feel your sorrow too and the grief of Suzie and the boys.
We just have to surrender everything in the everything in the Lord 's hands.
Your sketch is so good. You are quite an artist.
And the song so befitting a man like Ramos.
My sister 's friend Ruan lies paralyed waist down in a hospital in Moncton NB. Cancer has reached his spine. He is about Ramos ' age and his eldest is 8 years old.
Ruan 's faith is phenomanal, people are amazed. My sister and family are going to visit him this weekend.Over the phone they pray everyday.
Love the song, we must give thanks in all things, even though it is hard! I am in tears for this family, for all of you! Just over a year ago we lost someone like that at our church! He was so full of life and so in love with Jesus! His wife continues giving glory to God, even though at times it is crushingly hard! He had 3 daughters 18, 12, 7, and his 18 year old gave birth 2 weeks after his death! He is missed, but we know he is with his Father, and we praise Him for that! Thanks for posting this wonderful song!
I will keep Suzie and her boys in my prayers. It is so hard to understand why such things happen.
I can't wait until one day when we're in heaven and Jesus pulls back the curtain and shows us the whole picture. There's a song that says "We Will Understand It Better By and By." It's so true. One day we'll understand.
I love this song too.
And you are such a good artist.
You have many talents, Sita! And you have a heart full of love and compassion. God bless you today sweet Sister!
Val
How heartbreaking! It is so hard to lose a loved one, I can't imagine. We will add this family to our prayers.
What a heartbreaking story. I pray God brings the comfort that only He can to this sweet song.
I love this song!
Blessings Sita...I'm sorry for such a loss to this earthly family & friend but what a true gain in Heaven. My heart grieves & rejoices when I read stories & tributes like this! I pray the Holy Comforter lift the burden & weight you sensed yet ended on a hopeful note of Praiseworthy...for some reason I'm unable to hear the video but I watched and I can only imagine!
Yet I know your heart & blessed be
HIS NAME and Job 1:20 how powerful!
May God wrap His loving arms around you, Sue & her sons & anyone else that is so touched by Richard!May His peace flow & reign...as He remains the same!!!
That is such a precious, touching post. What awesome little boys ~
Praying for that family ~
I'm afraid I do't have the energy to respond to each of you individually as it has been a hectic weekend with a Bible Quiz meet, but I hope you visit here again to seee my sincere 'thank yous' to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. God bless you.
Love, Sita
So very powerful and moving, my friend. Your drawing and your tribute puts walls around a grief that is almost unimaginable. Thank you for allowing Christ's light and love to flow through your pen.
peace~elaine
Sita, this just hits so close to home with a dear family in our church going through such a similar situation. We are still praying for the "Dad" in this family and expecting a miracle.
Your writing here gives tribute to a precious life well lived.
Hugs,
Joy
Post a Comment