Thursday, April 23, 2009

And how does that glorify...?



The other day I picked up my 15-year-old from his youth group and asked how it was, expecting the usual ", Oh, Good..." followed by silence.

Except he surprised me. He started..."They gave us a sheet of 4 questions from a Bible passage and I thought to myself...oooh lame! But Mom, it wasn't, it was an awesome discussion. We had this question on sexual immorality..."
At which point, my precocious 11-year-old in the back pipes up with a cheeky grin..."ooh... that sounds stimulating.." My older son and I just turned and looked at him. My 15-year-old said.."dude, are you 11 years old?" Gotta love him.

Anyway, my son continued, "this girl asked if it was OK to give a guy a peck on the cheek and I did not say it, but I wanted to ask, "if we we are here to glorify God in all that we do, how does that glorify Him? What's the intent here, to pursue a physical relationship or to glorify God?"
OK! I admit I was stunned into silence while my insides were bursting "YEA!" Wow, he got it! Thank you, God!
Outwardly, I just said calmly,
"You should have said it out loud, dude.... people need to hear what you have to say. God has given you discernment and wisdom beyond your age."

So out of the mouths of babes, how simple is that in terms of the one question,
"How does that glorify Him, is that my intent?"
Colossians 3: 16b, 17, 23 (The Message)
And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.
Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ.

I invite you to think about all you do today and how you do it and why you do it and ask yourself that question.

10 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Isn't it great when our children grow up having that kind of "reverential fear" to God? We know that when He is with them, nothing will go wrong in the paths they choose to take in this lifetime. That's a great testimony from your son to other teenagers. Glory to God! God bless.

much2ponder said...

That is wonderful...the Lord is at work in this boy's heart. You are blessed. It is so refreshing to hear stories like this one:)

Debra said...

It's so wonderful when our children bless us this way! Kind of like a moment of realization that all those years of bringing them up in the nuture and admonition of the Lord, has finally taken hold!

What a joy!

Crown of Beauty said...

I'm so proud of your son, Sita... it is true, he has discernment beyond his years. Is he the same one who we prayed for last Holy Week, cause he wanted to go to the youth rally though he was nursing a fever? I know you are proud of him... and I'll remember to pray that God will continue to pour out the Nazirite anointing on him.

Amrita said...

That 's great. You are training up your boys well and feeding them the right things.

Joyful said...

Sita, I just quoted from this Keith Green song yesterday on Lysa's blog. Great lyrics.

You have raised a fine young man.

Thanking the Lord with you,
Joy

Peter Stone said...

Hi Sita
Isn't it just wonderful when our children demonstrate their faith in the Lord by saying things like this? Congrats on a son in whom you can be so proud. I do not think many other boys his age (or any age!) would have taken this attitude.

Sita said...

Thank you all, dear friends, for your thoughtful comments. It is by God's grace and knee-labour, that God is working in the hearts of my sons. The comment that is most repeated in my son's report cards, is that he should share more in class, because what he has to say, the rest need to hear.

I also realize that there is another force at wokr fighting hard for my sons, and so I must persist like all of you on my knees for them. May God take ahold of all our children for such a day as this.
Love, Sita

Julie said...

Sita,
I loved reading this. I've been out of sorts in blogland lately... but I've been able to catch up here today on yours.

I am blessed to see your 15 year old son. My 16 year old son has said some similar things. Isn't it amazing?
I love to see them making the choices that lead to life.

Hope you've been doing well!
Hugs from Georgia,
Julie

Sita said...

Julie,
..."choices that lead to life.."
that's exactly it....it brings you life when you see your children choosing life...
and I've been out of sorts with blogland for a while now...posting sporadically..
anyway, pray God's grace ministers where you need it most this day..
Love, Sita