
Today I installed a new internet security. One of the most comforting features is the automatic updates of software. These updates protect my computer from the ongoing threats of malware, worms, viruses created by malicious, power-hungry, brilliant and manipulative minds whose goals may include: destruction of your system, diminished, sluggish performance, stealing your information, controlling your system, using your system to invite damage to other users.
As believers, we have the security of the Protector and live with the threats from the destroyer.
The Destroyer:
Ok, it is easy to grasp the analogy to that power that seeks to kill and destroy the lives of believers. Satan is real and brilliant. He prowls around, seeking whom he may devour.
1 Peter 5:8 (NIV) says, "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."
He takes note of the chinks in our armour, and has a vast delegation of demons assigned to harass the believer, diminish us, render us incapacitated. But he does NOT have the power to destroy the believer, because we have the Holy Spirit in us, He Who is greater.
1 John 4:4 (NIV) says "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."
John 10:6-10 (The Message)
Jesus told this simple story, but they had no idea what he was talking about. So he tried again. "I'll be explicit, then. I am the Gate for the sheep. All those others are up to no good—sheep stealers, every one of them. But the sheep didn't listen to them. I am the Gate. Anyone who goes through me will be cared for—will freely go in and out, and find pasture. A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.
The Protector:
Indeed, He is our Protector from the destroyer. But the thing is, that abundant life simply does NOT come in automatic updates, as much as I wish it did. For you see, that would eliminate the role of 'relationship' between the Protector and me. That part of my 'walk' that needs to daily come to Him and draw from His power all that is needed to 'live' fully today for Him.
2 Peter 1:3 (Amplified Bible) says, "For His divine power has bestowed upon us all things that [are requisite and suited] to life and godliness, through the [full, personal] knowledge of Him Who called us by and to His own glory and excellence (virtue).
Then those weeds that pop up to choke His life in me won't have any room to put roots, weeds like my own strength, anxiety, fear, anger...you know...the slip-ups I make daily as a mother, wife, human being. Although the Holy S
pirit is in me, I need to actively appropriate His power in me, actively work out my salvation.
pirit is in me, I need to actively appropriate His power in me, actively work out my salvation.[ Note that this does not mean having a "Martha mentality" of doing to please, but rather being like Mary in communion with Him.] The Christian walk stagnates and burns out in a passive state. Let us get up and out of our tents to go and gather the manna. Let us activate His power daily.
Bear in mind, however, that God does not need our action in order to release His power. He can do so anytime He wishes. In fact there are times when a crisis may send us into 'shock' where we are unable to 'come' to Him. In those times, we can find a Shepherd Who lifts us up and carries us.
Pray with me:
Psalm 51 (The Message)
1-3 Generous in love—God, give grace!
1-3 Generous in love—God, give grace!
Huge in mercy—wipe out my bad record.
Scrub away my guilt,
soak out my sins in your laundry.
I know how bad I've been;
my sins are staring me down.
4-6 You're the One I've violated,
and you've seen it all,
seen the full extent of my evil.
You have all the facts before you;
whatever you decide about me is fair.
I've been out of step with you for a long time,
in the wrong since before I was born.
What you're after is truth from the inside out.
Enter me, then; conceive a new, true life.
7-15 Soak me in your laundry and I'll come out clean,
scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life.
Tune me in to foot-tapping songs,
set these once-broken bones to dancing.
Don't look too close for blemishes,
give me a clean bill of health.
God, make a fresh start in me,
shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don't throw me out with the trash,
or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
put a fresh wind in my sails!
Give me a job teaching rebels your ways
so the lost can find their way home.
Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God,
and I'll sing anthems to your life-giving ways.
Unbutton my lips, dear God;
I'll let loose with your praise.
16-17 Going through the motions doesn't please you,
a flawless performance is nothing to you.
I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered.
Heart-shattered lives ready for love
don't for a moment escape God's notice.
18-19 Make Zion the place you delight in,
repair Jerusalem's broken-down walls.
Then you'll get real worship from us,
acts of worship small and large,
Including all the bulls they can heave onto your altar!
5 comments:
Good analogy. JUst as I need to update my anti virus every morning, Ihave to make every effort to keep spiritually updated.
Very good, Sita!
Hope you and your family are doing well.
We're doing well. It's finally feeling like spring here....well, actually today it got up to 90 degrees and felt more like summer.
I'm happy to see sunshine and warmer temps.
Talk to you soon!
Love,
Val
Our faith grows with intention...we must be moving ever closer to Jesus each day. You're right...relationship!
Great post, Sita. Hope all is well. Thinking of you this night.
peace~elaine
How true, the abundant life is not an automatic update. He is after the relationship...
I appreciated reading this post today, Sita.
Blessings on your day.
Fabulous example! I'm so thankful for His continual intervention in my life as I surrender to Him. Love you, Sister!
Post a Comment