Yesterday my reading came from Joshua 3, Psalms 126-128, and Isaiah 63. This is what I gleaned.
In Joshua 3, I learnt that God wanted to show Israel that He was with Joshua even as He was with Moses. They followed the instructions that God gave to Joshua and God cleared a path through the Jordan river so that they crossed over. The water "piled up in a heap a great distance away." I remember seeing that my "trying circumstances" were like that heap of water piled high, threatening to fall down and overwhelm me. I remember feeling I had to go and build ramparts to stop it. I also remember that God impressed me that He was the One keeping the water at bay. My role was to keep my eye on Him, continue 'crossing'. I also remember more times than I can remember that I kept sneaking glances at the mountain of water and then a huge panic would pervade my soul. I am still learning what God means to "wait".
Father, thank You that You are able, that You keep me from being drowned, washed away in the torrents, that You keep the mountain at bay. Forgive me giving in to anxious thoughts that the mountain will suddenly collapse if I don't help You. How foolish, how insulting to You. Forgive my unbelief. I confess that I sometimes do not know what You really want me to do as I battle faith and responsibility. Please give me the wisdom that I need, that You promised to those who ask. Thank You, Lord.
Psalm 126:1-2 -"When the Lord brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The Lord has done great things for them.""
I look forward to this scenario in my life, that surreal feeling when freedom finally comes, when joy just explodes from my being...when people will look and say, "look what their God has done!"
Psalm 127:1 -"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. vs.2...He grants sleep to those He loves...(for while they sleep He provides for).
When we allow the Lord to do the building, we can sleep knowing He's taken care of all the details. The trick is knowing when He is doing and when I am doing. It's easy to slip when our priorities can differ. Oh to have the mind of the Lord! SO much trouble can be avoided, huh?
Psalm 128:1-4 -"Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in His ways. You will eat the fruit of you labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours. Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots around your table. Thus is the man blessed who fears the Lord."
I have to confess that the word "within" leaped out as I struggle with my choice to stay at home and be available for my children. Financially it is a disaster (my heap of water!), and I continue to ask God for wisdom. Is this word for me? On the other side, my children have the security of a parent always there for them and I am not exhausted from working outside that I am not 'there' for my boys, and I have time and energy to intercede and study God's Word. Yes!
Father, would You continue to affirm Your will in my life? Would You bless us? Your will is my desire. Continue to reveal to me Your purposes and always let me have that fine balance between responsibility and faith. Amen.
Isaiah 63:9 -"In all their distress, He too was distressed, and the angel of His Presence saved them. In His love and mercy, He redeemed them; He lifted them up and carried them all the days of old."...vs.12b..."who divided the waters before them, to gain for Himself everlasting renown."
It was God who divided the waters, for His renown. That keeps reinforcing itself...let God smash the mountain..let God.
Father, help my unbelief. Remove all doubt regarding Your role for me right now, regarding Your promise to deliver and provide. Help me to let You, to know what it means exactly for me right now, in the present circumstances. For Your renown, O God, let it be. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment