Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Kinsman Redeemer: Why not me, Lord?

God has been feeding me in His Word as I asked Him to. I finished the book of Ruth today wishing that I had a kinsman redeemer to cover our debts. The God led me to a wonderful exposition on it here and I will be quoting from it in red.

In Ruth 1, people were stunned to see a bereft Naomi, "Can this be Naomi?", and Naomi replied (vs. 20-21) "Don't call me Naomi, " she told them. "Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. 21 I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me."

Many times I look in the mirror and have the same thoughts,
"Can this be Sita?"
Then I think about what I used to be and have and wonder
"What happened? God, is this what I was born for, this constant struggle to make ends meet?"
Then I read, I hear of God's marvellous intervention in other people's lives.
"Wow! But, why not me, Lord? How come no one notices me? I know You care about finances as well. Someone I know who was in deep debt was given relief by his small group. Another couple was given over $20,000 for a downpayment on a house. They were both overwhelmed that someone had taken notice of their need. Lord, why not me?"

Do you ever find yourself saying that, "Why not me, Lord?"

"Boaz spotted Ruth and had compassion on her (v. 5). There were many poor widows gleaning in the fields. But Boaz set his eyes upon Ruth, took notice of Ruth, and had compassion on Ruth before she even knew who he was. Even so, the Lord Jesus Christ took notice of us, loved us, and chose us before the world was made. He loved us freely from eternity. Let men talk as they may about universal benevolence, God’s love for his elect is a special, sovereign, distinguishing love (Isa. 43:3-4)."

"You mean, You have noticed me? How come I don't feel it or see it so many times?"

"Ruth marked the place where Boaz would be and went there (v. 4). She came in softly and laid herself at his feet (v. 7). The sinner who needs mercy will always be found at the feet of his Lord (Matt. 8:1-2; 15:21-28; Luke 7:37-38; 10:39). Many are too proud to bow as broken, humbled beggars at the feet of Christ. But this woman risked being scandalized. She risked losing the only thing she had left, her name, that she might obtain Boaz’s favor."

I am at Your feet, I have no 'name' left. I came to a new country, emptied of all the glory I once knew, invisible, devalued. Kinsman Redeemer, notice me, have compassion on me and my family, let Your favour fall ever so gently.

"As Boaz took Ruth to be his wife, so the Lord Jesus has taken chosen sinners to be his bride (vv. 13-15). Thank God, he has not left us without a kinsman. Christ is the Restorer of our lives. He is the Nourisher of our old age. Like Boaz, our Lord Jesus will not rest until he has "finished the thing." "Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it." "He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it." "He is able to keep you from falling;" and he will. Christ will, at last, present you who are his holy, unblameable, and unreproveable before the presence of his glory."

Thank You, Lord.

"Faithful one, so unchanging,
Ageless one, You're my rock of peace,
Lord of all I depend on You,
I call out to You, Again and again,
I call out to You, Again and again
You are my rock in times of trouble,
You lift me up when I fall down,
All through the storm,
Your love is The anchor,
My hope is in You alone."
(Vineyard)

2 comments:

Technonana said...

Praise God, Sita, we do have a kinsman redeemer... and one day He will take us to be His bride!!!
I have always loved this story...
Thanks for reminding me of God's amazing plan of salvation!!

Joyful said...

"My hope is in You alone". Easy to write and say, harder to live out. I wrote about 'hope' on my devotional blog today - how easy my 'hope' can wander to other things apart from God and then be so disappointed.

The Lord has given you some wonderful promises this morning, and although you walk through a desert right now, the promised land is coming. Keep traveling.

I read this thought yesterday in my devotional: The time-lapse between the emptiness and God's filling can sometimes create spaces of anxiety, fear, and questioning that can lure us away from Him. The space can also spawn urgency, hastiness, and a false need to overly explain ourselves to others. God's word says, "I sat alone because your hand was on me", Jeremiah 15:17.

Know that God and others sit with you in the waiting and He promises to complete the good work that He started.

Love, hugs and prayers,
Joy