Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Life-giver

Tonight I was ministered to in Elaine's post here. It struck the same chord that this hymn we sung in church (specific phrases highlighted below) did. Tremendous heartbreak can plunge you into a dark place where you simply survive. For years, I have been just surviving, with yearnings surfacing ever so often to feel alive once again. The resurrection process is beginning and I would covet your prayers. God's purpose for us is to live, and live abundantly. Are you alive in Christ? If not, cry out to Him. He is the Source of Life, the Life-giver.
Words by George Croly, 1780-1860
Music by Frederick C. Atkinson, 1841-1897

Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart

Verse 1
Spirit of God, descend upon my heart,
Wean it from earth, through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

Verse 2
I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies:
But take the dimness of my soul above.

Verse 3
Hast Thou not bid us love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind!
I see Thy cross, there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find!

Verse 4
Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear,
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Verse 5
Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The baptism of the heaven descended Dove;
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.

7 comments:

Debra Kaye said...

Sita,

I love the words ...One holy passion...if that could sum up my life I would love it...One holy passion!

God bless you, have a great Monday!

Joyful said...

So glad God is writing a Resurrection hymn over your life. The words to the hymn you shared are beautiful. My soul sang along. Oh that I might love Him as I know I ought.

Love & prayers,
Joy

Amrita said...

Hi Sita. Thank you for your prayer. i feel prettu weak at the momenyt.

It will great for you all to visit India. Even for your husband it will be like a whole new world because he was so small went he left.

It will be wonderful to get a call from you. But I 'd advise you to visit in the winter time.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This song is just so full of wonderful imagery and theology. I simply love singing it!

How is your week walking? I can't tell you how many times I've thought of you and said a prayer. Keep me posted.

peace~elaine

valerie said...

Keeping you and your family in my prayers. I love John 10:10 "....I have come that you might have life and have it to the full" (NIV)
So much of just daily life sometimes sucks away (doesn't sound very nice, but the word that comes to mind)our joy. I pray that your joy may be full and running over today!
Love you,
Valerie
P.S. I'm believing we'll have that cup of coffee together one day. I'd like nothing more. :)

Saija said...

and the kids have started school ... i hope you might get some blessed alone time with the Lord ...

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you - Yes, indeed, He desires abundant life for us and if we are willing to follow wherever He leads He will take us there. Abiding in His Word with a heart to know Him as our Husband and Lord is the way into this life.

Rachel