Monday, August 4, 2008

Part 1 - 2008 Living Proof Live Simulcast

Last weekend I was privileged to attend this event courtesy of my friend, Sharine, from Curacao. We were accompanied by her sister, Solange, also my friend, and her friend, Paula. We went to Westney Rd. Baptist church in Ajax, Ontario and found the church overflowing with sisters in Christ, all looking forward to hearing from Beth the message from God. (I briefly met Joy from Ponderings and she has the most beautiful dimples. A lady who shines with His beauty.)

I was truly looking for a personal word from Him. I always read of God giving people that specific word for a specific situation and I never seemed to get one that I know for sure is from Him. It's like I want to hear Him say, "this is my answer.".

Well, Beth mentioned her friend whose child died of leukemia. This friend thought that God had told them their child would be healed. She died. What followed was years of thinking that "I cannot hear from God, " simply because what she thought she had heard was wrong. This happened to me in a different scenario, yet with the same profound effect. I realize now, that the minute I surrender to God and give up control of any situation, whatever He brings, including the specific Scripture in my regular Bible reading, He is giving me guidance. If I am not sure, I continue to ask for affirmation and confirmation. I had given up mentally, I think. I did not persevere. But now I know I must. Because I know He cares, I know He can.

Here is a recap of the word from Beth on Friday evening:


Theme: 100-Fold Word


Text: Luke 8:1-15


The Parable of the Sower
1After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; 3Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others.
These women were helping to support them out of their own means.
4While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: 5"A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. 6Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown." When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, " 'though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.'
11"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.


How do we begin to allow God to work to have that 100-fold yield in our lives?

God is calling us to increasing confidence and competence in His Word so that we may have 100-fold harvest. Maximum impact.

1. Treasure the wonder.
vs.10..."secrets of the kingdom...given to you.." Recapture the wonder of His Word which cannot be divorced from His heart. We can never unlock all the treasures of His Word. It is a progressive revelation that will last our lifetime. That is why we can read our Bible over and over again and find new treasures. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says... "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." He breathes His Word, His life into our lives. He equips us thoroughly to make us competently competent for now. Like those women who followed Jesus and His disciples and supported them out of their own means, God has made us women of means, women of substance, with a "now" word.


"I am equipping you totally - but you cannot do it ouside the study of my Word."

2. Protect your heart.
"...vs.12..the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe ..." Satan's whole agenda for us can be summed up "so that they may not". Christ came that we may have abundant life (John 10:10..."The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.") Psalm 119:10-11 says that we must hide His Word in our heart. ("... I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.") Beth had us put our hands over our heart to effectively tell Satan, "This word is not up for grabs!"

Look out for Part 2 -Saturday session-later. Remember, you are a woman of substance!

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I love the concept of "progressive revelation." We are in a continual state of learning more and more about our God. His Word is amazing and there simply is no end its mystery and wonder.

I'm so glad that you got to go to this event. And to meet Joy? What a treasure for you both. We roomed together at She Speaks and I loved her from the start.

May you feast on the treasures of this weekend for a long time to come.

peace~elaine