Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Fortification of Self-control...

"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control."
Proverbs 25:28 (The Holy Bible, New International Version)

**[Note: the ancient walls on Nineveh could hold 3 chariots riding side by side--deemed impenetrable.]


So begins the end of the fruit of the Spirit. It started with love which keeps us afloat, and ends with self-control which keeps us anchored within boundaries. Beth starts off Day One homework with a commentary on our society: it is marked by self-indulgence - abuse of all kinds, from power to substance, physical, sexual.

The Greek word for self-control is egkrateia which means "continence, temperance, self-control."

Our key verse above gives a graphic picture of a life without self-control. It is like living in a house without walls, open to the elements, pounded and pummeled by the storms, unprotected. In the Christian life, our main enemies as listed by Beth are: the flesh, the world, and the accuser. They are ready to invade unprotected territory at any time, ready to presume control. But in the life of a believer, they can only be invited. Beth says "the key to self-control is the refusal to allow our enemies to rule or hold us captive in any way....an issue of mastery, of authority, of boundaries." Any out-of-control area in our lives is open to Satan's attacks, and he is on the prowl looking for prey to devour. Do you know how to protect yourself?

Beth suggested several steps coming out of the reading in Nehemiah 2:1-20:

1. "I set out...with a few men" (vs.12). Enlist a few accountability partners.

2. "I went out...examining the walls of Jerusalem, which had been broken down" (vs.13). Perform an honest self-examination. In what areas do you lack self-control?

3. "Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, and we will no longer be in disgrace" (vs.17). Admit that you have experienced internal or external disgrace in your area of self-indulgence.

4. "They replied, 'Let us start rebuilding.' So they began this good work." (vs.18). Don't put it off...Begin immediately to cooperate with God's diligent work with you in your areas of captivity. (A structured process with support group or counselor may be necessary).

5. "The God of heaven will give us success." (vs.20). Give it to God, then keep giving it...until you have overcome.

Beth closes today's homework with:

"Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings." Isaiah 58:12

Father, please apply what I glean today to the struggle in my present circumstance. I desire to walk within Your walls in victory. You demanded walls in every dwelling place You chose to grace. Please rebuild the walls that ensure protection and victory. I rest in You now. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

2 comments:

Amrita said...

I need massive doses of of the above.
I 've been visitng other people 's blogs that I did not find time to write my own. Thank you for yopur prayers. i am dealing much better with my situation

valerie said...

Look at my blog. I have an award for you!
Love,
Val