Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Samson and Daniel - Polar Opposites in Self-control.

Today's homework on self-control focused on two well-known Bible characters, Samson and Daniel.

I have to confess that I am so puzzled that God chose and set apart Samson. He is one character I have really disliked. Maybe it is because he was so weak-willed, easily duped by women because of his lustful nature. As we looked closer, I realized so much more of what Samson did was based on his utter disregard for God and His commands. Here was a man set apart, a Nazirite who took vows that involved self-control and personal discipline: no food or drink from the grapevine, never to touch anything unclean including the dead, never eating anything unclean. Yet this same man took honey from a carcass, ate it--showing disrespect for God--and then gave to his parents without telling them its source--disrespect for his parents. A practical joke perhaps, on his part? If so, it was at their expense.
Beth points out from Samson's lifestyle that we should learn that self-indulgence:
-robs us of sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.
-saps our strength since the "Spirit of God" cannot come upon us to empower us if we are ignoring Him like Samson did.

Contrast Daniel, whose respect for God's commands and personal discipline in daily living including eating and drinking, brought him honor, but most of all, brought glory to the God he served. Beth draws several conclusions about Daniel's self-control:
-physical discipline and spiritual discipline often go hand in hand. (Samson had neither, Daniel had both.)
-prior discipline prepares us for present crises. (discipline to form the habit of prayer and self-control to handle the obstacles competing for our energies.)
-self-control enhances our effectiveness. (to fully affect eternity as God planned we need self-control or else what we do accomplish seems random.)
-self-control for God's sake invites God's blessing.

Daniel was protected by a wall of self-control and discipline. He rose. Samson had no walls. He perished.

Father, as much as I admire Daniel, I realize that perhaps Samson annoys me so much because of the lack of self-control in my own life. I need Your Spirit to bear fruit in this area for me. Grant me wisdom from on high to apply discipline where it is needed to be prepared for the crises when You allow them. Forgive me, Lord, for my self-indulgence. I am part of a society that preaches self-indulgence and I have fallen into its grip so easily. Forgive me my sin. I desire to be a "Daniel" in this world, I want this for my husband and my boys as well. As I look back, I realize that You have been trying to 'train' us in this area, but like the poem below (A Psalm of Andrew) states, Slowly I learn. Persist with me. Let Your favour fall on us as a family. Thank You, Lord. In Jesus' Name, I pray, Amen.

Questions to ponder:
In what area do you lack self-control?
How does it affect your spiritual life?

2 comments:

Faith said...

This was a great post!
Thanks for sharing all of this.
I know I often struggle with self-control in the area of material things....when I should be looking to the Lord to fill me up, not "stuff"!

Amrita said...

Thank you Sita for your love and prayers.. I am physically exhausted and feeling quite low . Continue to pray for me please.