Day 3 in the homework on self-control focused on someone who knew what it was to have everything, wealth, power, all that the world goes after. That man was Solomon who wrote Ecclesiastes, the man who wrote that after everything, "so what?" It was meaningless.
Joy only came when he accepted that what he has was a gift from God. He concluded that the "heart of the matter" was to "fear God and keep His commandments." Wordly riches are fleeting. I do not want to leave a legacy of 'chasing after the wind' to my children. I want my legacy to be Proverbs 14:26 - "He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge..."
Lord, thank You that our financial stress keeps us leaning on You, coming to You. You know our needs, our weaknesses and strengths. You know what we can endure. You give, You take away. I rest in Your knowledge of what I need to be transformed. I also know it is painful. So give me Your grace, empower me in Your Spirit. Give me a heart of acceptance. Work in me contentment. Help my unbelief.
Matthew 6:31-34:
31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
No comments:
Post a Comment