The picture may be blurred, but my friend, Esther, is not blurry in any sense of the word. As I started my homework on "Gentleness", another trait of the fruit of the Spirit, it was Esther who came to my mind.First, let me share what I learned about gentleness today. I was tenderly blown away by what God had to show me. I came to Him with a needy heart, and He did not disappoint me. He did not solve the problem that made me feel vulnerable, but He gave me His Presence, and I am overwhelmed.
Gentleness comes from the Greek "praotes" denoting a complete surrender to God's will and way in your life...in other words, to stop fighting God. Its components include: submission, humility, teachability, and teaching ability. Beth focused on the submission aspect today, learning to put to rest the resistance to God. We know that part of the Christian walk is to "fellowship in his sufferings." God told us in John 16:33 that "in this world you will have troubles". So, we should know that, right? How do you respond to His prodding?
Beth says: "As God pushes and prods you along, with a mind set on finishing that which He started (See Phil.1:6), do you grab for every doorknob, tree limb, or mailbox to keep from going His direction? or, at least His speed? Does He have to fight you practically every step of the way in your
maturing process?"Beth closes this lesson with an amazing illustration that God gave her as she asked Him to teach her about submission in gentleness. Her daughter, 11 years old at the time, called to her. She went and found her in tears explaining that her hair had a small knot a while back which she tried to get out but quit because it hurt. But each day after that, it got bigger and bigger until it was too much for her. To keep the pain to a minimum, Beth held her head firmly and then began to brush--one hair at a time--as the tears streamed down her daughter's cheeks.
"Do you want me to stop?"
"No, Mommy. If you do I'll never get it out. Keep brushing."
Then Beth said this,... "Totally submitted to untangling the mess she was in, she rested her head in my lap and endured the pain. Her tears were not those of resistance. They were tears of submission: knowing that the end was worth the means."
Dear reader, what is your big KNOT today? Is it financial stress? Is it physical pain? Is it searing loss of loved ones? Is it depression? Is it TOO MUCH?
Whatever it is, please rest in His lap today, allow Him to untangle the mess. Hold on to Him. Cry if you have to. Submit to His care.
Is that not a most exquisite picture of submission and trust?
I have had the privilege of resting my head in a tangible way on God's lap when He sent Esther my way when I was extremely vulnerable. While at university, I became quite ill at a Christmas camp for international students. It was very cold and my fever kept coming and going. The Christmas party was going on and I was alone in the dorm, or so I thought, until I opened my eyes and saw an angel at my bedside praying in a foreign language. I learnt later it was Korean and my friend barely knew a word of English yet was completely versed in gentleness and kindness. Later on, on the bus going home, she saw how weak I still was and laid my head gently on her lap. We have been sisters ever since.
My friend, Esther, has poured out the fruit of gentleness and I have been so blessed to have her touch my life. Esther's life has not been easy. In fact, it has been wrought with 'persecution' and I have seen her practice sacrificial submission all the way through. On the other hand, God has SO blessed my dear sister with His Presence and it is so awesome that she, along with her family are serving the Lord in new and magnificent ways. She is one friend that I miss dreadfully. We are physically far away from each other, but share the same heartbeat.
Esther, I dedicate this post to you in honour of our friendship. I love you.
2 comments:
Wow Sita I like your new blog look and the boys photo.
Good post. I have also had "Esthers ". in my life They are special gifts from God.
Why don 't you enroll yourself on some christian blogrolls?
Oh Sita! This testimony of your friendship with Esther, just brought tears to my eyes!!! I LOVE that picture of her kneeling beside you praying in Korean!!! That just brought the tears. :)
Blessings to you!
stephanie
Post a Comment